Has anyone made a Brake Dresser?

Success.
After only 2-3 hours of dinking around, I have my wheel trued and dressed, at least To my satisfaction for cutting stones.
I ran the wheel so only the proud part was rubbing. These things load up easily, I used most of a white stick -(aluminum oxide) which cuts the bond and exposes the diamond particles.
After all the dressing and grinding I can’t see any visible wear on the wheel.
This stuff is really durable.

Evan,
I re ground my 1x1x6 stones to a much better finish.
I’m ready for the package.

Attachments

• F6B7A587-0B38-43EB-BDCD-CDBC15B18486.jpeg
    F6B7A587-0B38-43EB-BDCD-CDBC15B18486.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • B0D1B0BE-47CA-4033-B526-178A72EEFD3E.jpeg
    B0D1B0BE-47CA-4033-B526-178A72EEFD3E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Jeff, it will get better with time, and stay that way, if you use it carefully and properly. Remember at all times that it is not anything like a vitrified surface grinder wheel. Do not use it for heavy cuts and use the dressing stick often, also carefully to preserve the geometry. The wheel wants to true itself up with usage, if you use it in ways that help to maintain the geometry of the wheel. While roughing the part, use full wheel wide plunge step overs down to the same depth, and then use a small step over with a very light cut for finishing. Works for me when grinding the precision stones.

Edit: If anybody knows better methods for this, please share with the group. The techniques shown above are self taught, with little or no help from others with more experience than I have...

Success.
After only 2-3 hours of dinking around, I have my wheel trued and dressed, at least To my satisfaction for cutting stones.
I ran the wheel so only the proud part was rubbing. These things load up easily, I used most of a white stick -(aluminum oxide) which cuts the bond and exposes the diamond particles.
After all the dressing and grinding I can’t see any visible wear on the wheel.
This stuff is really durable.

Evan,
I re ground my 1x1x6 stones to a much better finish.
I’m ready for the package.
Jeff,
That’s great. Unfortunately the stones did not arrive yesterday as promised, so it will likely be Monday before I can ship them.

In an earlier post I mentioned I was considering purchasing a diamond wheel made by the General Industrial Diamond Company. Today I ordered a 7" wheel with 320 grit and 100% saturation. It has already shipped and should arrive within the week. It'll be interesting to see if it has anywhere near the advertised .001" runout.

In an earlier post I mentioned I was considering purchasing a diamond wheel made by the General Industrial Diamond Company. Today I ordered a 7" wheel with 320 grit and 100% saturation. It has already shipped and should arrive within the week. It'll be interesting to see if it has anywhere near the advertised .001" runout.
Do yo mind if I asked what you paid?

Do yo mind if I asked what you paid?

I purchased it on eBay from a vendor named "jeff322harley". The asking price was $85.00 or Best Offer. I offered $70.00 and it was accepted. He has a 100% rating, and has already shipped the wheel. He also has several other sizes, grits, and concentrations. I don't believe he's all that familiar with the product in that his description wasn't the best.

I was able to find information on the web as to how to decipher the numbering system stamped on the wheels. Unfortunately I didn't save it and can't remember the exact phrase I googled.

Here's a link to another wheel he has listed:

He has a total of 10 different wheel sizes and grits listed. There were multiples of some sizes.

I got my diamond surface grinding wheel late yesterday. It was delivered by the USPS a full day prior to the first date on the shipping window. It is as advertised, in new condition. The listing also said "Open Box". However it came in the original shipping carton complete with the part number and specifications.

As I expected the seller wasn't all that familiar with the product. The specifications describe it as a 7" wheel 1/4" wide and an abrasive thickness of 1/8". It has a resin bond with 100% concentration of 320 grit. It is in perfect condition, and has a manufacture date of 1973. Things are a bit busy right now. I don't expect to be able to check the runout until at least late next week or the following week.

Let us know how it works out. 1973, I bet the quality is superb.
Made in USA!

Last edited:
Today I went to check the runout on the diamond wheel and a Norton CBN wheel I picked up last weekend. Things got a little complicated from the start. I installed the diamond wheel and started the machine. I was shocked to see the wheel wobbling on the hub. I thought maybe I hadn't tightened it properly so I did a quick check. Everything was tight so I restarted the machine. The wheel still had a noticeable wobble.

I put an indicator on the side and measured over .012" wobble. I removed the wheel and inspected the hub. Much to my surprise there was a big burr on the flange. It looked like it had been dropped. I don't ever recall dropping it, but since I'm the only one who has used the machine in the last 6 years either I did drop it, or it's been that way since I got it. So far I haven't gotten to the point that I could actually measure the wheel run out.

I was able to clean up the hub, but since it's recommended to mate a diamond or CBN wheel to a hub for life I'm going to have to order a few more hubs. Much to my surprise hubs have seriously gone up in price since I last bought one. It was only a few years ago I could buy a Sopko 200-1 hub for a little over $40.00 per copy. The places I checked today are asking in the neighborhood of $90.00 per copy.

I'll check around a few more places, but I'm afraid the prices will all be in the same ball park. For now the project is on temporary hold. What I thought was going to take a couple hours looks more like it's going to take a couple weeks.

I was thinking the same thing, it seems like I bought my Sopko adapters for around $58-$62 until recently.
I wonder why the sharp increase?
I only own Sopko.
Projectnut, I don't think you will do much better but please let us know if you do.

Back