Has anyone used one of these cheap 6 in 1 mini-machines?

I thought that was Jeopardy categories not a machine tool description.

These guys modded one to run off battery power. And possiblly CNC? I don't know, I don't speak Russian.

Screenshot_20200912-021619.jpg

Some things should be done because they can be done, not because they should be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You see these plastic and metal 6 in 1 machines on Amazon, Ebay etc generally well under $200. They can be configured as a wood lathe, metal lathe, mill, drill press, scroll saw, and grinder.

6 in 1 mini-machine

View attachment 307463

First off I realize that these probably make the worst Chinese mini-lathe look like a Hardinge. I'm not looking at one to do any serious machining, I already have real machines, but wondering how these would work for simple work on wood, plastic and maybe aluminum.

The reason I'm asking is I got into this hobby through plastic models, and am still active on several modelling forums. Questions about these mini-machines come up from time to time, because there are a lot of modelers interested in adding a mini lathe or mill to their tool arsenal. Even finding a really good deal on a used mini-lathe is a $300-400 purchase. For someone just looking to true up some wheels or a gun barrel on a tank model $400 is a sizable tool purchase, $100-ish is much more palatable. Most would be working with wood and plastic. Those who frequently work with brass and aluminum are usually willing to spend the money for a mini-lathe.

I'm considering "taking one for the team" and picking one of these up so I can give it a proper assessment. If someone here has actually used one with realistic expectations, it would save me the time and trouble. I don't expect it to compare well with a mini-lathe, but if it is a step above chucking a piece in a drill and shaping with an exacto knife and sand paper it might be worthwhile for some.

I can see these being useful from an educational/hobby perspective with middle schoolers, high schoolers and adult hobbyists. They should be versatile enough to handle light plastics and balsa, foam, etc. for modifying parts, etc.

Any claims that they can handle aluminum, steel, etc should be viewed with skepticism and caution. I’ve watched some of the YT videos on these out of curiousity and I’m not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These guys modded one to run off battery power. And possiblly CNC? I don't know, I don't speak Russian.
Apparently, neither does the YT Russian-to-English closed caption translator. Pidgin English would be a giant step up from the translation. Some of it is funny in a "say what?" sorta way. Was still an interesting video, though, except for the Viking game part.

Tom

We have a "real one"...

This is a Chinese copy of a unimat (been many years and forgot name).

We picked it up at a very good you and hobby store in the bay area pre 1992 back when we were young and had limited funds and space.

Still have it in a kit box upstairs.

It was fun and we turned some brass and steel.

Made a few things with it.

The Germans make better toys, it is what it is.

Good for model parts or other small things.

Fits in a tool box with all the parts.

Completely forgot about ours until seeing this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What people say about very light low power airplanes: "It barely has enough power to kill you".

I suspect these things barely have enough power to remove a finger.

What people say about very light low power airplanes: "It barely has enough power to kill you".

I suspect these things barely have enough power to remove a finger.
In one of the previous videos posted, the guy was stalling it by grabbing the chuck.

That doesn't surprise me, I doubt it has anymore power than a cordless drill and those are easy to stall if you grab them by the chuck. I think these have a 2" chuck so even more leverage.

I had forgotten about this,, think I will order one when I get back home.

I was using a cordless drill clamped in a vise to turn small simple model parts before I got a lathe. If this is better than that then it is an option for those who can't or won't budget for a proper mini lathe. I have low expectations for it, just part of my mini lathe obsession.

Back