Haul from this Weekend

chip_slinger

Active User
Registered
Got some nice shop-made pieces from Craigslist this past weekend. Small toolmaker's vise, 5" sine bar, matched set of centers of some kind, planer gage and a vee block. Most of the tools had the maker's name and date, 1953-54. He also had his social on most of them; different time I guess. I was really surprised how well kept the tools are. Only the vee block had a small area of rust on it.

7u4usaju.jpg
qu9e9a4u.jpg
u2useqyq.jpg

Nice find. Looks like the guy did nice work. Heck, I'm surprised that kind of thing was kept in the family as "heirlooms" (I know I would keep those). I guess not everyone see things quite the same way. :dunno:

At least they are with someone who appreciates them.

-Ron

Some well made tools the man knew what he was doing nice score.

Paul

The guy that I got it from said that his father inherited them from the original toolmaker. I guess the seller didn't know what to do with them and the emotional attachment to his father had faded.

Thats very cool. Nice score to BTW.

I picked an older Chevy Tahoe this winter from a guy. He was downsizing, going through rough times as he had just lost his wife to ALS a couple months earlier and didn't need all these vehicles anymore. Anyway when I about ready to leave he seemed to have a strange attachment to the Tahoe. I made sort of a light hearted comment and thats when he told me that he had bought it from his Dad 12 years earlier, who had bought it new. They used it to take hunting and fishing trips. He had lost his Dad just a few months before losing his wife. I assured him I would take good care of it for him.

Quick question, what search terms do you use in Craiglist to find stuff like this? I'm constantly searching CL and don't often come across machinist tools. It's hard to sort through the tools section because so much junk is posted daily. Not to mention most people don't even know what they have and list things using the wrong terms.

I love old tools, but so many people nowadays don't seem to see the value in them that some of us do.

As far as finding them on CL, I actually gave up on searching. When I have the time, I will just browse through all the postings. I've gotten really fast at skimming the ads for interesting items.

Back