Have You Guys Ever Heard Of A Pratt & Whitney Bench Mill?

I have not seen one with the very useful vertical head. That should add considerably to the versatility of the mill,and the price. A few years ago I sold a universal indexing head to a guy who advertised on Tony Griffith'ssite that he was struggling to get accessories for his. P&W. I only charged him $250.00. But,who knows what these rare as hen's teeth parts might be worth?

The index head on that vintage machinery link just above this post,is like the one I sold to the guy (Steve,IIRC),who was restoring his. Mine had never been allowed to get a single speck of rust on it,either!

Yes,that one that started this thread did not show the rather massive underneath drive system. Years ago I rebuilt a P&W bench lathe for a blacksmith shop in the museum. It had a very similar underneath drive. At a flea market,I later found a whole spare drive motor for theirs.

They had large,hardened round steel rings inside which varied the speed. Worked perfectly,odd as the system seemed. I can't quite recall how the hardened steel ring worked,but I thing it served as the "belt" between 2 variable diameter pulleys.. Maybe someone has a picture of the mechanism.

Last edited:
I have a friend that has a Pratt & Whitney bench top lathe that looks like it could be the sister machine for this mill. The ways on the lathe are shaped almost exactly like the bed on this mill. I agree that it seems pretty pricey. If you were into watch or small clock parts, it would be a a very cool combination to have.

GG

I wonder if the table has the same bed profile as a Hardinge split bed lathe? The same profile was used on Elgin and one or more other makes.

When I worked for a living I used to use a small floor standing Pratt & Whitney tool and cutter grinder. Superbly designed and built it saved the company £££'s over the years.

Back