Having trouble milling smooth.

So I said I would post more details. Here they are.

Number 1 was going with cooling. I actually think that had the biggest impact. I used as mist cooler called the LilMister from Trico with Trico coolant mixed at 32-1. All of the tools I tried both Cobalt and Carbide still look new after this task
Number 2 was going with carbide. I was kind of reluctant to go with carbide as my machine can only spin 2720 RPM max.
I tried 3 tools and it didn't take me long to realize carbide is the way to go. But after this task I am a believer at least in the smaller diameters where carbide is affordable. All the tools I tried are in the third picture. as well a my two flute un-coated cobalt which was still in the mill from my first try at this. the first tool is a 1/16" 4 flute AlTin coated single ended carbide that was used to do all finishing work. I used that to take off the last 0.007" on each edge. Number 2 is a double ended 1/8 of the same. Number 3 is a 1/16 HSS that I did not even try as I was doing so well with the carbide. Those were my backups in case the carbide didn't work out. Number 4 is an AlTin coated 4 flute Coblat tool which worked very well but not nearly as well as the carbide. I also started the job with the 2 flute cobalt. That worked well but noticeably slower than the 4 flute.

There was some discussion about 2 flute being smoother than 4 flute and that was my observation when I did the first part. But in this case the 4 flute clearly out performed the 2 flute. Possibly because it was AlTin coated. I also found that using the 4 flute allowed me to rotate the crank of the rotary table at a faster rate that was more conducive to smooth motion, and with 4 flute carbide that was even better.

The comparison of the finish between the second part and the first part due show an obvious difference and I do attribute most of that to cooling as things were running much smoother with my first pass using the same 2 flute cobalt I used for the first part and it only got better with the newer 4 flute and carbide tools.

IMG_20190302_165411919.jpg

IMG_20190302_165418429.jpg

IMG_20190302_165436866.jpg

New SF.JPG

Old SF2.JPG

I was kind of reluctant to go with carbide as my machine can only spin 2720 RPM max.
Carbide does not NEED higher speeds, it ALLOWS higher speeds. Not only does that get the job done faster, it also often improves the finish as well. At the same cutting speeds you will likely see similar results with HSS and carbide.

Carbide does not NEED higher speeds, it ALLOWS higher speeds. Not only does that get the job done faster, it also often improves the finish as well. At the same cutting speeds you will likely see similar results with HSS and carbide.

Well said Bob . :encourage:
Well the job is complete and it is beautiful. Many thanks for the help .

Looks great !:cheerful:

Back