Havir ShapeRite Model B, 8 inch

Acetylene

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a Havir ShapeRite Model B 8 inch shaper (with tilting work table!), and now I face the challenge of moving it back to my home. Plan A is to disassemble the machine and reassemble it at home. Does anyone have a parts diagram or other document that explains how these machines come apart?

I have a general idea of moving the unit. Work table, ram, machine base, and then stand. I'm hoping two people will be enough to move it one piece at a time.

Unless you need to dismantle to get it in your basement?
There must be a towing company close by with a roll back deck? Have them winch it on and drop it at your house. Save a lot of headaches. They are quite reasonably priced. My local guy is $80.00/hour.
Something to think about, anyways
Martin

Last edited:
I think you’ll find shapers more of a challenge to disassemble than a lathe or mill. When I moved my Atlas 7b I just separated the shaper from the stand then put them in the back of my Nissan PU. Unloaded with my cherry picker.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
There are two main reasons why I would like to move it in pieces.

One is that the machine has some caked on crud, and I would like to clean all the moving surfaces before that gunk can do any major damage.

Two is that the machine is located in a workshop at the back of the seller's property, and there is no access to it via truck or forklift at the moment.

Last edited:
Well I'm headed to get it this evening (P.S.T.). After watching a few videos of people disassembling similar sized shapers, and studying the fairly limited parts diagram, I think I have a plan.

I'll remove the ram guides, and the stroke adjustment knob, and then the ram should just lift up and out. After that I'll remove the work table and the motor. (it is wired directly to the breaker, idk how I can disconnect that safely. I think it's a job for an electrician). The whole machine with stand is supposed to weigh ~750 pounds. Hopefully I can get the machine down to a couple hundred so a friend and I can lift it. The base is big, I'm not sure how moving that will be, but it's not as critical of an operation as moving the machine itself.

(it is wired directly to the breaker, idk how I can disconnect that safely. I think it's a job for an electrician
I will not tell you how to do it because I am no electrician, but if it were me... I would pop the circuit breaker out of the panel, and once it is free from the lugs, just unscrew the terminals and hand the circuit breaker to the current owner. The neutral, or ground, should be attached to the ground bus bar, and it is just a matter of unscrewing that. That is how I would do it, but in no way am I handing out electrical advice
Just be careful when roaming around in the panel, and have some situational awareness of where your screwdriver is pointing.
;)

We got the machine disassembled and loaded up tonight. It came apart nice and easy. There are a few bedsores from sitting for the past eight months (the gentleman that owned it before me passed in January) but I think it should clean up really well.

Luckily the deceased owners daughter (executor of his estate) is an electrical whiz and safely disconnected the 3 phase motor and the switch for it. I definitely need to take an electrical course.

The base was way too heavy for just two men. I may come back with more friends, or just rent a U-Haul with a ramp...

Last edited:
Back