Headsup: HF air rivet gun close out!

I was given a Milwaukee corded shear and it probably would have done great on the long cuts, i think it would have mangled the cross cuts.
1715911443911.jpeg

So what do you do to adjust it? It was totally kickin it then a shank got tangled and I had to disassemble the nose. The only thing that wasn’t stupid tight was a nut inside the nose. I cranked it down and it seemed harder to the the little nose adapter back on, but it’s cranking again.
Yeah, That sounds similar to the problems I was having at first. Then I played around with the inner noise piece and jam nut, ya got to get the distance right, so the jaws grip the mandrel well enough not to slip on the pull stroke but fully release it when the cycle is complete. And keep everything tight. Once it was adjusted, I've set hundreds of rivets without any issues.

Yeah, That sounds similar to the problems I was having at first. Then I played around with the inner noise piece and jam nut, ya got to get the distance right, so the jaws grip the mandrel well enough not to slip on the pull stroke but fully release it when the cycle is complete. And keep everything tight. Once it was adjusted, I've set hundreds of rivets without any issues.
Was that just something you figured out or it in the manual? Mine worked perfect out of the box and it was probably my fault I didn’t make sure the mandrel was cleared and just jammed another in there. Was weird how only that one nut wasn’t insanely tight. If I had to guess I would think it had to do with stroke adjusting.

Was that just something you figured out or it in the manual? Mine worked perfect out of the box and it was probably my fault I didn’t make sure the mandrel was cleared and just jammed another in there. Was weird how only that one nut wasn’t insanely tight. If I had to guess I would think it had to do with stroke adjusting.
I do remember looking through the manual a some point but I don't recall specifically if it mentioned an adjustment. My tool also worked okay at very first but soon started failing to eject the mandrels and then I got a couple of jams. That's when I started tinkering with the inner nosepiece. As I recall, it took a few tries till it worked perfectly. I haven't messed with it since.

I’ve been wanting one of these forever and had good reason to get it and glad I did! I’m fabbing up an all metal barn door of our new shed and used it for the first 40-50 1/8” pop rivets and so glad I got this! I’ve easily got twice that many to go and it’s crazy how easy it makes setting rivets. I’m not sure if they are just going phase it out and let the next one in the line at $70 be the only riveter they carry. But nobody has anything in this price range and these might be the last. Mine came with a complete rebuild kit. Two thumbs way up!

Tony:

Thanks for posting this. Have you finished your shed? Are you still happy with the gun? Are you using aluminum rivets?

On the mobile grinding cart project, I used a manual rivet gun to set stainless rivets - and it was awful. Never do that again. I was in SLO yesterday and went over to the HF store. They only had two of the guns left, and I bought one. I took it completely apart, and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the parts, and how clean it was inside. I'm going to play around with it some today.

As far as adjustments go, in the manual on page 12 they include a description of a "wrench gauge" on one of the supplied wrenches, so I suppose that adjustment is the most important. In this video, a guy shows how to spend countless hours rebuilding this $40 tool, and near the end he shows using that gauge.

Hi Bill,
Tony:

Thanks for posting this. Have you finished your shed? Are you still happy with the gun? Are you using aluminum rivets?

On the mobile grinding cart project, I used a manual rivet gun to set stainless rivets - and it was awful. Never do that again. I was in SLO yesterday and went over to the HF store. They only had two of the guns left, and I bought one. I took it completely apart, and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the parts, and how clean it was inside. I'm going to play around with it some today.

As far as adjustments go, in the manual on page 12 they include a description of a "wrench gauge" on one of the supplied wrenches, so I suppose that adjustment is the most important. In this video, a guy shows how to spend countless hours rebuilding this $40 tool, and near the end he shows using that gauge.
The shed is on the downstroke. We had to go out of town and they were finishing up the siding then will do the roof. My nephew who’s a real construction guy has been the lead on all of this and I’m so glad I followed his instructions and went strictly by the county parameters for the max without a permit. i was tempted to fudge and go bigger but he reminded me about my insane Karen next door. This thing being 11.5’ tall is hard for her to miss and that has got her crazed. She had been leaving these deranged “notes” scrawled on old used envelopes in my mailbox which were totally incoherent. Looked like Salvador Dali scribbles so I just put them back in her mailbox. A neighbor asked if I noticed a county truck out front last week and I didn’t. They never came to the door. But as we were hitting the road there was a notice in the mail from the county about being in violation of code and not having a permit. They seem to think it’s an ADU or something. So now we have to present to them it’s just a shed(no power or water and no sheetrock) so they can inspect. Nephew was meticulous in his adherence to code so I hope to see her head explode when they say it’s a shed and legal. I’ve thought about spot lights on the side that faces her along with a camera looking down into yard :)

I am totally happy with my riveter. Talk about save my bacon! I did easily 300 rivets. 1/8 steel shank aluminum. The other brilliant idea I had was HF was closing out the McGraw 1/4” angle head pneumatic for $30. It came with a 1/8” collet and would get into places none of my drills would so I ended up using it for all the holes. While not the strongest it worked great.

Thanks for sending the link on how to adjust the riveter I’ll have to check it out. Mine never did jam again. I do miss how my old hand riveter would retain a rivet so I could stab it in. Does the adjustment fix this?
1716566933920.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpeg
    IMG_0639.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 5
Back