Heating The Shop

For you it is, but not for me. Hey Sam, have you moved into your addition? I take it you are moving all of your machine tools.

Paul

That is a great looking ol' Ford, it's even got a winch and a hood scoop.
What is that white material that they are loading into it? Wait, hold on, I think I almost remember....

Some of those older trucks just do not know when they are old....
They just keep going... :)

OTOH... I think I will pass on the mountains of white stuff... yall can have all the fun... <grin>

Enjoying the unseasonably warm weather. Pruned the fruit trees today in a short sleeve T shirt.

Some of those older trucks just do not know when they are old....
They just keep going... :)

OTOH... I think I will pass on the mountains of white stuff... yall can have all the fun... <grin>

Gee thanks for your consideration !

I've been using a small 35,000 BTU kerosene turbo heater for years, but kerosene is stupid expensive here at $4.59 a gallon. It burns very clean, but because it isn't vented to the outside it introduces a lot of moisture into the shop.

Last summer I put in some insulation and drywall (only got the walls done so far), but I can already tell it takes less heat to warm up the shop. I decided to try one of the 5000w 220v electric heaters to see how it would work. Menards has one for just under $100, and I have to say I think it is going to work.

Our electricity is 7.4 cents per kilowatt hour, so it comes out to 37 cents an hour to run it. An eight hour day is just under $3. Two and a half gallons of kerosene lasts 8 hours, and costs about $12. Right now I have 4 mil plastic up on the ceiling, but once I get my ceiling drywalled and insulated, it should take even less heat to make it comfortable in there.

I would love to put in a small natural gas heater because NG is the lowest cost form of heat in our area, but I would have to cut a hole in the roof for a chimney and run the gas line for it. I'm not quite ready for that yet. If and when I do put in NG heat, then I will be able to keep the shop warm 24/7 in the winter. Looking forward to that.

For you it is, but not for me. Hey Sam, have you moved into your addition? I take it you are moving all of your machine tools.

Paul
Hi Paul, yes everything was cleaned touched up and moved from the big shop. And it was a super pain even with my heavy equip.
The tough one was the mill cause the base is not flat (4 little feet) so we bolted 2x6's then rolled it on pipes. Then to get planks off
another big story The heat is 230 vt. home depot jobs, so far works well don't know about Jan & Feb yet although we leave the
door open to the big shop & shut the electric one down over night.....so the new shop is the "clean room"
sam

20150628_153800_resized.jpg 20150814_093254_resized.jpg Avy drill press.jpg new shop.jpg

Well for Christmas I bought myself a real shop heater, now I wish I had done it sooner. What a pleasure it is to have even heat all over the shop 8)

Randy IMG_20151231_132126.jpg IMG_20151231_132147.jpg

Back