Heavy 10 QCGB Question

What size is that spacer? Most should come with a spacer for adjusting to the idler compounds inboard gear or outboard gear. It is roughly an inch long (memory, here, i can measure if it is needed).

joe

It is 1 3/4 inch long. It is the (Added Piece) in the pic

Attachments

• CIMG6190.JPG
    CIMG6190.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 16

Everything in your gearbox is wrong..... the only thing that is right is the lead screw....

That would be great. but the big thing that nags at me is the 3 mount holes that I don't see on others. If every thing is wrong why is the bed and QCGB a match? Also I found a magazine from 1960 that matches the catalog (CL 1006Z) number on my gear box to the heavy 10" turret lathe. And the serial number (4512RKT9) on my bed is for a heavy 10" turret lathe. So you see my confusion? Here is a link to the popular science mag.

Attachments

• CIMG6187.JPG
    CIMG6187.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 11
That would be great. but the big thing that nags at me is the 3 mount holes that I don't see on others. If every thing is wrong why is the bed and QCGB a match?

Don't worry about the 4 holes I only have 2 screws holding mine on

This machine was sold as a South Bend Heavy 9 in 1938 but the parts I bought to convert it to a heavy 10 are from the 1950s and everything works just like it should....
20200610_004629.jpg

The quick change gearbox that you have is correct for your machine however the parts inside of it are completely wrong, I didn't mean that the gearbox itself is wrong just the parts inside of it...

Don't look at that catalog number every heavy 10 bed is dimensionally identical in the places that it matters and all the parts fit it...

I have a 1944 and a 1938, I swap parts between them both all the time without any problems.....

Last edited:
The only issue you will have when putting ebay parts on your lathe is the ebay parts are not hand scraped to fit your bed.... But you have most of the parts that would be hand scraped at the factory.....

Don't let this scare you.... Unless you plan on making parts with a +or- .00005" tolerance....... lol

Back