Heavy 10 tailstock block measurements?

n9viw

Registered
Registered
My 199-Y came to me without a clamp bolt, nut, or block under the tailstock. I've made a few measurements of the underside of the bed to get an idea of its general size, but I know that the original block had an elongated hole in it to provide clearance during set-over operations. I need to get this made so I can do my first test bar.

I can find clamp blocks all over the internet for the 9, 10K, and 13... well, essentially everything EXCEPT the 10R/L. Does anyone have one close enough to being apart to be able to measure their clamp block for me? L/W/H, and length of the hole.

Many thanks,
Nick

Mine is 2 " wide, 3-1/4" across then stepped out to fit between the rails. The slot is 5/8" x 1-1/4"

I have an extra one that had been repaired - it functioned fine for me for 30 years - you can have it for the price of shipping.

This is mine,I just finished cleaning it up and painting it.
I wrote the measurements I took down.

Attachments

• 20240223_132548.jpg
    20240223_132548.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240223_132445.jpg
    20240223_132445.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 10
This is mine,I just finished cleaning it up and painting it.
I wrote the measurements I took down.
The 2-11/16"... is that from the inside land to the edge of the hole? A lot of the replies I've gotten (including a pair from ebay sellers of tailstocks, one with a fantastic diagram!) put the width at 3-1/4", the length at 2-1/8" like yours, thickness at 1/2", with an additional 1/2" for the bolt head retainers underneath. The milled section for the underside of the ways is 1/4x1/4", putting the overall width inside the lands at 2-3/4". The hole is 5/8" x 1-1/4" center-to-center.

I have an extra one that had been repaired - it functioned fine for me for 30 years - you can have it for the price of shipping.
Wow, thank you! I'll send a PM as soon as I'm done here! I have 1/2-13 bolt and nut stock aplenty here at work, I'll have that tail planted firmly soon enough.

Thank you all for your replies! I may make one anyway, just to have done it, but now I don't _have_ to!

Nick

The 2-11/16"... is that from the inside land to the edge of the hole? A lot of the replies I've gotten (including a pair from ebay sellers of tailstocks, one with a fantastic diagram!) put the width at 3-1/4", the length at 2-1/8" like yours, thickness at 1/2", with an additional 1/2" for the bolt head retainers underneath. The milled section for the underside of the ways is 1/4x1/4", putting the overall width inside the lands at 2-3/4". The hole is 5/8" x 1-1/4" center-to-center.

Wow, thank you! I'll send a PM as soon as I'm done here! I have 1/2-13 bolt and nut stock aplenty here at work, I'll have that tail planted firmly soon enough.

Thank you all for your replies! I may make one anyway, just to have done it, but now I don't _have_ to!

I used a scale to measure,I'm cleaning and painting in the basement and my Mike's and calipers are in the shop out in the garage.
The measurement is actually a bit stronger than 2 and 11/16ths if you look real close.
Since it will be made to fit your lathe bed you have that dimension already.
Mine measures 3 1/8 long but before I removed all the old paint it could have easily measured 3 1/4.
Yes the bock is 1/2 inch thick and the retainers are 1/2 inch high.
Have you looked through the ,"SB noteworthy threads?"
I needed a saddle stop nut replacement and found the dimensions in a pdf listed there.

Attachments

• 20240224_112723.jpg
    20240224_112723.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 5
Back