Heavy 10 Westinghouse motor: oil cups

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So after finally getting the new belt and running my Heavy 10 to see how she goes I had something weird happen. After about 2-3mins on high speed (belt on the left-most cone) I heard a high-pitched frequency...almost like a whine but not quite and the motor slowed down. Fearing the magic smoke would escape I immediately shut the VFD and therefore the motor down. Waited about 10 seconds and ran her again. Same thing after 2-3 mins on high so I shut her down again. When I had her running on the middle cone she ran fine for however long I ran her. I admit I don't remember if I put oil into the oil cups on the motor. I'm thinking I didn't because the cups are 180º from each other. IOW, on the pulley side on the motor there is a cup and it's facing the ground. On the right side of the motor the oil cup is facing upwards. I think that threw me and it was one of those things I was going to ask you guys about but forgot. I can't take a pic right now but I will tomorrow if need be. I'm thinking the motor thermal might be kicking in because of not enough lubrication but am I supposed to add oil into both cups? The one facing up wouldn't be a problem but the one facing down ..... ??? I'm thinking maybe I should remove the motor (Westinghouse 309P824-A) and inspect it. What's the deal with the cups and do you think I should tear her down?

I would remove the motor, add oil into the cup that would be upside down, turn it by hand a few times, and reinstall it with oil in the other cup. There isn't supposed to be much in there anyway.

If it works well after that, then there you go! Hah. If not, it's time to rip it apart.

Bernie

I think the last person that had that motor apart got the endplate housing on 180 degrees wrong. I would just remove the endplate and rotate it so both oil cups are facing up. you need oil to keep the bushings or bearings lubed. ---Dave

Back