Heavy 10 with D1-3 spindle ???

internationalgeo

Registered
Registered
! was wondering if anyone can help I know the head stock spindle have a special taper but mine seems to be a odd mark having a
D1-3 spindle with a 1.1/4" through hole I can only find parts list with D1-4 spindle so was wondering if as it is a odd mark spindle
is there any one out there that has got the same spindle can tell me if the head stock spindle has special taper or a normal morse
taper the spindle is definitely a D1-3 as the faceplate that came with it is a D1-4 and does not fit the spindleP5081440.JPG

SB’s were made to many different specifications.
Rare as it may be , it doesn’t surprise me to see a D1-3 spindle

Unusual, I have a Southbend SG 26-075 and it has a D1-4 and I haven't heard of a SB with a D1-3. It looks like it been recently refurbished so perhaps the 1-3 has been added in the upgrade.

Unusual, I have a Southbend SG 26-075 and it has a D1-4 and I haven't heard of a SB with a D1-3. It looks like it been recently refurbished so perhaps the 1-3 has been added in the upgrade.
I refurbished myself it was for the air force serial no 4782 RKX 12 so perhaps they ordered it to match other equipment has your spindle got a special taper or is it a
Morse taper

Ok, mine has a internal taper of ~ .602 per foot which corresponds to a MT3 slope but bigger than an MT3. I found it to be the same as the taper on a SB heavy 10.

20170329_201333.jpg

20170331_102722.jpg

Check this SB spec sheet for some clues. You might find some details of taper but nothing about nose cone except threaded.

tooling_dimensions_sb_7324.jpg

...it was for the air force serial no 4782 RKX 12...

Your serial number puts the lathe in the early '50's time frame (also the bench and the clutch knob). This was before SB offered any kind of D-# head. Do you have a wide range gearbox (ie, 70 positions)?

The "X" in your serial number signifies a "special", meaning that it deviates from the normal Heavy 10 offerings. Aside from the attachment scheme, your spindle looks like a normal H10. It is possible that the spindle was special ordered at a later date, or even at the original purchase date. but the only way to know for sure is to purchase the lathe card from SB.

Your serial number puts the lathe in the early '50's time frame (also the bench and the clutch knob). This was before SB offered any kind of D-# head. Do you have a wide range gearbox (ie, 70 positions)?

The "X" in your serial number signifies a "special", meaning that it deviates from the normal Heavy 10 offerings. Aside from the attachment scheme, your spindle looks like a normal H10. It is possible that the spindle was special ordered at a later date, or even at the original purchase date. but the only way to know for sure is to purchase the lathe card from SB.
Yes has the wide range gearbox with 4 screw fixture

Stamp on bed DDB 106R
4782 RKX 12

CAT No CC 9010 AB

Extra tag on Bed
FED Spec 00L-125
Order No CONT-AF33-600-9087
Stock No 8100-442000
South Bend Lathe Works
US Property

Property USAF 700309

Last edited: