Height gage help

Could you not surface grind a step on the bottom of the scriber to compensate for the .040"? Maybe I'm looking this wrong...

Just for grins, I pulled out my nearly new Starrett height gage, set it up on the surface plate, and sure enough, the scriber sets on top of the slide. Checking it against a 1" gage block, it's right on!

Funny, my MTI surface gage, the offset scriber rest on the bottom side of the slide.

The one I got had no scribe. I went to the trouble of cutting out an o-1 scribe and hardening and surface grinding to get it right on the money.
I would have put it in the picture but not sure where it is. After putting the test indicator on it I really liked how that worked much better.
I never use it as a scribe for layout work anyway. And for height it's easier to use with the indicator.
20170421_151358.jpg

Well I worked on 1 of the height gages today. I ground the top of the base using a dremel stone in a 1/8 collect on my mill as shown in the photo and fed in .002" with the Y axis on each pass of the table till I took off about .042". I had to flip it over to get on the other side of the blade, about half way through the stone came off the shank so I had resort to the dremel and free hand it with a cutoff wheel. I had to file in close to the blade. Lots of slow meticulous work. Then at the end I accidentally put a nice scratch right where the 1" witness mark is... duh! Anyway now it zeros out and I am satisfied, not sure if it was a bargain. I will think about it a little more to see if I can refine the process a bit before start on the second gage. IMG_2718.JPGIMG_2718.JPGIMG_2723.JPGIMG_2725.JPGIMG_2726.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually just put 1-2-3 blocks under small parts to raise them up when measuring or scribing small parts.

That's what I thought, but with the gage bottomed out all the way it reads 1.040" and with scriber the way it is picture that is the true height. With the scriber mounted below the arm the actual height is .375"View attachment 231549

It just seems like an odd dimension to add 1.040" under the work in order to zero the gage, unless I am looking at this from the wrong perspective.

There is an offset scriber that is an accessory to the height gage; watch e bay and likely one will show up. Find an old catalog to see what they look like.

The big issue is that the gage would not go low enough to read 1" regardless of a straight scriber, offset scriber or no scriber. 1 gage would only go down to 1.040" the other gage would only go down to 1.034".

I just picked up a Brown & Sharpe vernier height gage. How do I make measurements that are less 1.040" since the gage is bottomed out
465562c2a5d9db1c54811fffa49bab58.jpg
f002d8759cf372f234ce5f02dd6f91a7.jpg

Youre pictures are not loaded properly just showing red X's.

Common problem withTapatalk.

I just picked up a Brown & Sharpe vernier height gage. How do I make measurements that are less 1.040" since the gage is bottomed out
465562c2a5d9db1c54811fffa49bab58.jpg
f002d8759cf372f234ce5f02dd6f91a7.jpg

The issue I see is that the scale does not go down below the 1.04 inch regardless of where the pointer is. Very odd
My guess is that it was modified at some stage.

My guess is that it was modified at some stage.
My guess is that it was originally made that way. How often do we measure or scribe less than .040" using a height gage? I am sure I never have. We have to use a 1-2-3 block or gage block to even get down to the .040" height, a different height spacer (stack) will also take out the .040".

Personally I would,
1. Accept it as is and simply deduct 1.040" from whatever it is you are measuring. or,
2. make a nice plate that is 1.040" thick and sit anything you want to measure on it. or,
3. Make an extra piece that adapts the scribing foot to the height gauge, and problem solved.

Back