Hello Fellow Pm Machine Owners!

Arock PCB

Registered
Registered
Hello, my name is Austin and I just joined and just purchased a PM 1127 new from Matt and look forward to my upgrade from a grizzly G0768. I also have a mini mill (3960) from LMS that I want to upgrade to a PM-25 very soon. I look forward to learning and sharing with you all. Any tips or heads up from y'all will be taken onboard.

Also too, I have a mounting question to ask that I'm sure someone has some insight into. I am mounting the 1127 on a work bench that I made from wood. All boxed frame with two pieces of plywood screwed together for the table top. My question is do you think I need to put a sheet of steel or something underneath the chip tray for rigidity or am I good to just bolted to the wood. Thanks for any input guys.

Austin

I had a small (approx. 300 lbs.) lathe on top of a 40" tool box, and while there was a piece of 3/4" plywood under the lathe, I added a couple of 3/8" plates under the lathe's feet to better distribute the weight. After two years there were no indications that the plates sunk into the wood at all.

Thanks for the advice wrmiller! I am thinking maybe the steel might be necessary to help not only with the weight distribution but also to help keep the flex down as well. My last lathe was bolted down to just the wood table(with chip tray) and would flex under heavy cuts for sure. I appreciate it brother.

Austin

My 1127 is mounted on a wooden bench also. I used 2 x 8's for the top frame with cross beams made of 2 x8's also. I have two 3/4" pieces of plywood on top of the frame and I don't see any dip or sag in the plywood from the weight of the machine. You should be fine as it is only a 500# machine, not 2,000# or anything.

I have a 6 by 20 Clausing/Atlas lathe mounted on two pieces of 3/4 plywood (not my design) and it works well, except I get some buzzing from the wood. I'm going to investigate screwing the two pieces together here and there.

I'd think a sheet of steel on top would make the buzzing worse, but I haven't tried it.

Back