[Newbie] help building my skills

dball

Registered
Registered
okay guys i am new to both this site and machining.I just picked up a pm45 and i know nothing about it or machining and would like to get more familiar with everything.Im in the process of saving for school but in the mean time i would like to learn a little befor i go,so if any one can help me with some easyer projects and pointers that would be grate.Reason i got the mill was to use for my gun part kits that i will be building at some point plus i always wanted to get into machining! but now that i have it i cant think of a darn thing to make! i still have to get afew more things for my part kits so i can build. thanks for any help or projects guy's.

Welcome to the site. Lots of gunsmiths in the crowd.

I would advise you to pick up some scrap mild steel and reduce it to chips before trying to machine any of your kit parts. The concept of machining is quite easy. You take a block of metal bigger than the part you want and remove everything that doesn't look like the part you want.

In practice, there are many things that will take off bits you wanted to leave on. Practicing is necessary so that you will learn what to expect under a wide variety of operations.

Reduce the first block to scrap. Make a drawing of some shape for the second block, along with some real dimensions. Then do what it takes to reach those dimensions without going over. You don't want to learn these lessons with expensive kit parts.

When you get ready to start on your first part would it be possible to post a drawing or description of it? That way you could get some responses on how to go about tackling it.

I will second the "do something else before the thing you want to do" comment. Basically, do a simpler project so you can learn to use the machine. Simple tools are good choices, because they will be useful later. T-nuts are a good choice, as they are simple, and don't require exceptional accuracy, but they are always useful. Likewise clamps of all types. Strap clamps are easiest, but you could also try some rocker clamps like these

[thread]6647[/thread]

You would need to change the design a bit unless you have a rotary table.

Once you get a few small projects under your belt, and you get a feel for what the machine sounds like when it's cutting properly, then you can think about working on some more detailed stuff.

I would recommend "Milling, a Complete Course", by Howard Hall. Covers a range of projects requiring basic skills that are also usefull to the hobbiest. Thhere are also several military manuals that are free downloads.

Chuck

All prior advice is excellent. My thoughts - spend plenty of time learning how to measure accurately. Seems so basic but all of your machining skills can't make up for lack of skills/precision in making measurements.

thank you everyone im just looking to learn and make things an have fun!i look at projects others have made an they make it look so easy but its really not lol so im just looking for easyer projects to do that are useful an learn from them so i can move on to the things i want to do.I seen this real small v8 and would really love to build it but it out of my ballpark at this time plus i dont have a lathe and don know what size of lathe to get that i can use for gun smithing.i dont want to spend a ton on one but want to get one that i can use for that.

Back