Help buying Exacto mill off CL

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for your help with my SB lathe purchase. I found a mill in my price range but I am concerned with its condition and if it's issues are a deal-breaker. I don't mind using my time making repairs as long as parts prices/availability don't make this a foolish purchase. The mill is about an hour from me so I received this information from the seller:

Exacto 942B. It was built in 1979; he has had it the past 14 years, but when he moved it to his present house about 5 years ago, he did not hook it up. He said he mostly used it for aluminum and it work fine, but it has "normal wear." It has a 2HP, 3-phase 240V motor, so I'd have to buy a rotary converter or VFD to run it. It includes a vice and some collets (pictured). He couldn't test the motor because his garage is not wired for it. He tested the power feeds and they did not work. The X backlash was about .070 and the Y about .050. The DRO works. He has a rotary phase converter not included, but said he would consider selling it. He is asking $1,200 obo. He told me he is anxious to get it out of his garage and to make him a offer. Should I ask anything else about it, and is it worth me driving to see it in person? I can ask for more pictures if that helps. Should I walk away, and if not, what do you think would be a reasonable offer given the knowns and unknowns.

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• IMG_6804.jpg
    IMG_6804.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_6803.jpg
    IMG_6803.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 202
Not to worry, it will probably be gone before you evaluate all the replies here.

I think I would have already been on the road to buy that before asking.
Seriously good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be more inclined to get a Bridgeport of equivalent unknown condition. Simply because of the ample supply of spare parts available, and the greater supply of free information on the web for specific repairs.

I'm no expert by a long shot but I have gained a lot of experience from being here on H-M and buying machines on CL. My first concern is why if he has a rotary converter can't he power it? Doesn't even have 220v single phase? The fact the X and Z power feeds don't work is concerning too. $1200 seems like a good deal but I've seen Bridgports and clones in running condition for that here. But everyplace is different. It's a real crapshoot if you can at least run it. If the motor is toast or spindle bearings are bad you are already in the hole. If it was me and I decided to wanted it I'd use the fact it can't be run and stress it's an unknown and get him to throw in the rotary for the $1200.

The Exacto machines are high quality Taiwanese machines. Some had hard chromed ways as an option. I have owned several of these over 50 years. The backlash does not seem excessive for the age of the machine. Inspect the ways and and general overall condition. I would leave the RPC there, and buy a VFD for $150.

Given that it's not under power, you can't tell much about the condition of the head. But the good news here is that it is a change pulley type, so no danger of variable speed system being junk, a common problem with old machines.

yep, I'd be on the way before I stopped to write a post. that's alot of mill for the money. Most likely he doesn't have 220V in the garage (most don't) so can't power up the rotary converter. If it's still available I'd rent a trailer, go there and offer $1000 , plus extra for any other tooling he has in addition to the vise and collets. I'm with Jim too, buy a VFD and have all the benefits of that to go with it.

Reactions: Z2V
My first concern is why if he has a rotary converter can't he power it? Doesn't even have 220v single phase?

Many modern homes only have a single 220V plug and it is in the room with the washer and dryer.

Almost every house in America receives 220V from the electrical power pole with 3 wires {+, -, and neutral} You get 1/2 of the circuits in a house running from {+ to neutral} and the other 1/2 of the panel runs {- to neutral}; 220V single phase is simply {+ to -}.

So @Gaffer? Did you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a long day. I believe I cut a fat hog in the a$$. I gambled and rented a trailer, bought heavy duty tie downs and took a drive. The seller was very nice and hadn't installed it because most of his machine work he does on his Atlas 9". He had a great steel building with his project vehicles and other things. The mill was just taking up space. He powered up the X & Y Mitutoyo DRO and it functioned just fine with. The table moved smoothly, but the cross slide requires some effort. The vertical knee cranks smoothly and easily. I'm not sure why they put the power feed on the knee. It works but the nylon gear is stripped. Same with the longitudinal power feed on the table. Now the good part as I am a lousy negotiator and I don't like to do it, so I asked him what his bottom dollar for it was. Drum roll... $800. He even borrowed his neighbor's forklift and loaded it. The fun begins tomorrow moving it. I don't have access to a forklift, but i think I have it figure out.

It sounds like a VFD is the way to go versus a rotary phase converter. I'll have what I'll need to do it. I'm all ears if you have a recommendation.

Attachments

• IMG_6807.jpg
    IMG_6807.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 157
Back