Help Choosing Interchangeable Head Torque Wrenches

housedad

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Ok, I've lived a while on the planet, and I never had a need of a interchangeable torque wrench
Always got along with standard fixed head types. However, not that I am finally getting into machining I find a need to torque ER and TG collet nuts They need a special head, sand so the need for a special torque wrench

So, after searching the net For a few hours to try to understand what the standards are for what size wrench fits what head and what sizes, I find myself stumped.

If I buy a ER32 head from one company, how do I know what size torque wrench to use? I am not talking torque here, but the drive size on the end of the wench?

Do they all have a set standard? From what I've seen, there are at least three types of head attachments.

The manufactures info is scanty at best, it seems.

you could maybe use a crows foot 32mm spanner on the flat nut part and read the torque that way ?

I've never use a torque wrench to do up the er chuck, I have a couple of 1'6" spanners that I tighten till it's quite tight.

Have you been having slippage issues ?

Stuart

No slippage issues. I guess I'm just one of those "by the book" kind of guys when it comes to torquing something.

No slippage issues. I guess I'm just one of those "by the book" kind of guys when it comes to torquing something.

I havn't seen a peg spanner to fit onto a socket driver fitting (1/2") The only issue i can see is that it would need a clearance hole where the tool (or part) comes out of the chuck which is also the ideal place to attach it.

Both er32 chucks I have use the same spacing on the nut, their different brands and look a little different but same pattern. I believe it's standard.

I see people discussing from time to time the pro's and con's of ball raced er collet nuts for ease of tightening. So I'm thinking that they can be tightened a lot.

If I had to guess I would say I tighten my er32 milling chuck to 60-75 Nm , from the thread size i would guess it could take a fair bit more.

From my experience I always find that I have to tighten mt3 collets a lot more to get similar clamping force.

Stuart

A-ha I have found some pertanant info.

http://www.techniksusa.com/metal/torque_chart.htm

I'm amazed they are recommending 135Nm , thats quite a lot. I think i would need a much bigger spanner to get that :)

They also have a photo of a torque wrench with an er spanner end on it .

The difference between car wheels that torque at 90Nm and ones that torque at 120Nm is massive to me.

Stuart

Was still curious so did some more googling and reading, http://www.centaurtools.com/catalog/CentaurCatalog-2008.pdf

Their er32 collets say maximum 95Nm , so their seems to be some variance between manufacturers.

Maybe I need bigger spanners :)

Last edited:
Back