Help Choosing New Mill!

I started with a square column mill and after 2 years upgraded to a knee mill. If I could do it over I would bite the bullet and jump straight to the knee mill. I had over $3500 invested in the square column mill, x power feed, 350 lb custom welded table, power on the z axis and 3 axis DRO and the best I could get for the package was $2000. Resale is also better with a knee mill so a better investment. The square column mill tends to flex and shake, even with the extra heavy base, and the gear head is noisy which can be irritating (its right at head level).

I'm not against a knee mill either and money isn't necessarily the deciding factor, but does play a part. That PM-836 does sound VERY interesting. Who all has that model? I may hold off for a month or two and keep researching. I really want to do this ONCE, at least for next few years. Space is an issue, as my garage shop has a lathe, 80 gallon Champion compressor, large blasting cabinet, engine hoist, 8 foot workbench, mig welder, and welding table already in it. I also need to be able to park one car in it. I also have a small spraybooth and toolboxes. I am VERY organized!

ETA: Now I'm starting to like the PM-836S. This would likely be as much mill as I would need in my current shop. The price is really pretty good when you consider the included shipping and accessories. I can do $4,000, but the larger mill at $6,000 is definitely pushing it! I may call Matt on Monday and talk with him about it. Someone talk me in/out of it!

Last edited:
Back