Help Choosing Power Hacksaw Blade

Treetop

Registered
Registered
I'm putting a new roof on my old shop building.The contractor will be adding more "C" perlings to the roof joyces. They come in 30 foot lengths and we are going to get 3 out of each piece with a little scrap left over. I volunteered to cut them to length for him and he agreed to knock a little off the labor.

I have a 450 mm power hack saw but I need to order some blades for cutting thinner sections like these "C" perlings. I'm guessing that they are maybe 16 gauge? I haven't seen them yet, they will be delivered next Wednesday.

How many TPI (teeth per inch) would be appropriate for this cutting job? Thanks for your input!

I don't know the answer to your question other than to say you want to maintain a minimum of three teeth of the blade in the material at all times. Less than three teeth is a blade that is to course and it will hang on the material. Much more than three teeth and the blade is to fine and will take longer to make the cut.

Vlad

I don't know the answer to your question other than to say you want to maintain a minimum of three teeth of the blade in the material at all times. Less than three teeth is a blade that is to course and it will hang on the material. Much more than three teeth and the blade is to fine and will take longer to make the cut.

Vlad

Thanks Vlad. I had forgotten that "3 teeth engaged in the material at one time" formula! As soon as I read your post, I remembered it. This "getting older" business is not for sissies!

The steel in the "cee"s will be soft. I cut all my 6' purlins on the chopsaw.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

The steel in the "cee"s will be soft. I cut all my 6' purlins on the chopsaw.

Jake, I have access to an abrasive chop saw and you are right, I think that's probably the better tool to use. Thanks!

If they are rolled formed sheet metal you could use power saw. Depending on the gage on the metal and the number of cuts the a medium number of teeth would do it since you had the saw. To fine would (IMO) would clog up the teeth. Too few would tear the metal and leave a rough edge.

I agree with the other poster it would be faster but noisier to use a abrasive cutoff saw. You could rent one.

Whichever you use need to setup a cutting station so the saw bed is level to the support surface. Something simple like carpenters use to cut their lumber. Good luck with your new roof.

. an abrasive cut- off wheel. buy a couple . Fences,guard, and face shield, steady
Handed helper........BLJHB

Or........ maybe your looking for validation to buy one of the evolution circular saws. If thats the case I say you should definantly do that. Tell SWMBO we said its OK.
:D

Glad I posted my question. My cousin and next door neighbor has a 12" abrasive cut off saw that I just installed a new wheel on last spring. I don't think he has even used it since then. Anyhow that's gonna be the ticket for cutting these thin cross section perlings. And, yes, I will be setting up a table on either side for the 30' material to slide on. Thanks for all of the help!

Or........ maybe your looking for validation to buy one of the evolution circular saws. If thats the case I say you should definantly do that. Tell SWMBO we said its OK.
:D

Jake, sadly She Who Must Be Obeyed, is wise to all of my shenanigans after 43 years of marital bliss...:love:

Back