Help Identifing a Vintage Lathe

mashiah

Registered
Registered
Hey all,
I'm considering buying this SBL type lathe but can't identify the exact model. Could that be a Logan clone or some other one?
Thanks for the help.FB_IMG_1684642561259.jpg

It looks like a 9A. The motor setup is not normal looking. Is it setup with a VFD? Here is a reference photo of what I would expect it to look like.
8fcb08c5ccc85069b0aea48dcbd7ee13.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

It appears to be missing the backgear knob on the headstock...

-Bear

Yep, its fitted with a VFD. The spidle housing does have a hole where that knob goes but the top cover is flat and different. Also the etire base cabinet is unlike any photo I could find online.

Yep, its fitted with a VFD. The spidle housing does have a hole where that knob goes but the top cover is flat and different. Also the etire base cabinet is unlike any photo I could find online.

If everything is in decent shape. No excessive wear on the ways and the likes. I say go for it. The VFD is a great mod for them. The cabinet looks real solid.

Cutting oil is my blood.

There were a few SB clones made- in particular one from Australia which name escapes me now... Ulma Doc (Mike) has/had one
Edit: "Hercus" is the one I was thinking of

Last edited:
Looks to be SB9A mounted on a different brand pedestal. If it checks out, looks like it would be a good purchase.

It looks like a 9A. The motor setup is not normal looking. Is it setup with a VFD? Here is a reference photo of what I would expect it to look like.
8fcb08c5ccc85069b0aea48dcbd7ee13.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.
It's not a 9a. it's bigger in my opinion. I am also bothered by the hole in the front of the head. It has the looks of a Southbend, and the looks of something else.

The only thing I like more than that "tray top" is that drive motor looks fresh and very capable.
Oh, that is one sweet arse cabinet.

Back