Help identifying a compound angle fixture - Engineering Service Inc, Huntington CA

jmkasunich

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This fixture came in a box of tooling that I bought from HGR (bought it because it had a magnetic sine chuck). I can't figure out what it is or what it would be used for, although I have some guesses. Maybe grinding specific angles on lathe tools?

It has a U-shaped channel which seems like is intended to mount a workpiece. The channel is mounted to a large partial sphere. Loosening the mounting screw allows the channel to be rotated; there is an angle scale for rotation.

If you loosen the socket head screw at the front right, you can rotate and tilt the ball. It has four sets of degree scales engraved on it at 90 degree intervals. Each scale goes 16 degrees each side of zero, with marks every two degrees. That lets you measure ball tilt in two orthogonal axis.

The scales on the ball line up with four lines on a rotating ring; the ring has a lock screw and a little handle to allow you to align the lines with an outer angle scale that runs 90 degrees each way from zero on the main base. So you can rotate the two tilt axes relative to the base.

20230604_152935s.jpg

This picture shows a better view of the nameplate, as well as the little handle for the rotating ring.

20230604_152334s.jpg

This picture shows it with everything set to zero. The ball is vertical, the rotating ring and the U-channel are both aligned with the base.

20230604_152636s.jpg

These pictures show the ring rotated to 25 degrees relative to the base, with the ball tilted 6 degrees "left-right" and 10 degrees "front-back" (those designations are relative to the ring, so rotated 25 degrees from the base. In addition, the top U-channel is rotated 20 degrees relative to the ball.

20230604_152824s.jpg20230604_152841s.jpg

Anyone ever seen one of these or know what it would be used for?

Very interesting find.
I have never seen anything like it!

However I am "watching" this thread to get the answer.....

Thanks for posting.
Brian

Super cool find. I too am watching this to see what it is.

Cutting oil is my blood.

If that thing locks down securely. It will be great for cutting compound angles in smaller stock.

Cutting oil is my blood.

thing is accurate to a tenth of a degree. nice find, i could use it tomorrow.

This fixture came in a box of tooling that I bought from HGR (bought it because it had a magnetic sine chuck). I can't figure out what it is or what it would be used for, although I have some guesses. Maybe grinding specific angles on lathe tools?
snip>
I'm confident that you have written the primary intended use. Imagine, prior to indexable insert tooling, a production shop might have a surface grinder essentially dedicated to grinding (and re-grinding) lathe tool blanks with the common clearance angles.

Nice piece. With the attachment of a small vise it could be used to fixture bench work in almost any convenient orientation.

Where's John? :)

Back