Help Identifying a Sewing Machine Motor

speedre9

Active User
Registered
This may be weird but I plan on using a sewing machine motor for a spindle. Now settle down, I will use it to cut styrene plastic sheets. I have been on a quest for the quietest motor to mill with for at least five years now. I have taken all sorts of things apart that have motors in them searching for just the right one. Well I have found it and I hope it will fit my needs. I got it from a sewing machine, an older model Brother I think. So, how can I find out what the r.p.m.'s are, and the electrical information is on it. I no longer have the guts of the machine that went to the scraper long ago. All that is on it for numbers and info are the word, zigzag and a number, #150671, and that's it. Are there any general motor types like this around that have specifications for sewing machines? HELP I'm a lousy web surfer!!!

Do you have or have access to a simple mechanical speed indicator? Most machinists or high end mechanics have one. You just place the tip of it on the running motor shaft for a chosen period of time then calculate speed in revolutions per minute. 30 seconds reading x 2 = rpm for example.

Just a thought.

You would be better off with a good dc motor..s m motors are gutless

Non I have no way to find r.p.m.'s, I don't have one of those speed indicators. I believe it is a White 1.3 amp motor, its faster than my 6k Dremel.
And, because I have had some issues with the level of general procedure experienced by the D.I.Yer, may I add my considered opinion.
That being said, I must ask this question, just how beefy a motor needs to be?. In my opinion, I believe it should match the materials most used. One should not need a 5 H.P. water cooled spindle if one only cuts balsa wood or foam. So why is a sewing machine motor not good enough to cut through styrene up to a maximum of 0.080" thick? I see it as being akin to a Dremel mounted to the "z Axis". I use one to hand grind styrene very often, and find it, more than adequate for the job. I have also recently seen sewing machine motors powering ultra mini lathes and drill stands.
As I plan on only machining styrene, and drilling holes in styrene I can only see advantage here in using low cost motors as spindles.

This may be weird but I plan on using a sewing machine motor for a spindle. Now settle down, I will use it to cut styrene plastic sheets. I have been on a quest for the quietest motor to mill with for at least five years now. I have taken all sorts of things apart that have motors in them searching for just the right one. Well I have found it and I hope it will fit my needs. I got it from a sewing machine, an older model Brother I think. So, how can I find out what the r.p.m.'s are, and the electrical information is on it. I no longer have the guts of the machine that went to the scraper long ago. All that is on it for numbers and info are the word, zigzag and a number, #150671, and that's it. Are there any general motor types like this around that have specifications for sewing machines? HELP I'm a lousy web surfer!!!

Ask a sewing machine repair shop for information. You could hook up a flex drive shaft between the motor and the spindle to reduce noise and vibration.

Domestic sewing machine motor speed varies with load.
They are called universal type, which means they will run on either AC or DC. They can do that because they have commutators and carbon brushes. The DC voltage would be as high as AC, so won't run well off a typical car battery say.
As stated, they are pretty gutless. Worth a try though, if you have it already.

That is exactly why these little motors spin so fast is to give them some semblance of having power. Take away the speed and you have nothing. Now run that speed through a gear box and then you have power to play with.

So you are saying that the 1 hp conchew sewing machine servo motors are gutless?

Back