Help identifying antique drill press

Samsquanch

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
I have been doing a lot of repetitive drill press work, light loads, small diameter and relatively shallow, but my press is better suited for larger work. I have an image of an old drill press that I am hoping I can re-create with some assistance here. I actually had a chance to use it, and it was amazing for this small kind of work. As you can see in the image there's a newer looking motor connected via belt, but the quill/spindle assembly is free standing and actuated via a small finger paddle at the bottom front. As paddle is depressed, the levers move the quill down, I feel pretty good about the motor and frame aspect, but cannot for the life of me find anything like that quill/spindle setup online.

Apologies if my terminology is off, think I have it right.

Does anyone where know if there's a name for this style? Or manufacturer if it was unique? I am leaning towards trying to find and restore this part.

Any help is appreciated and thank you!
-Scott

Attachments

• DSC_1058.JPG
    DSC_1058.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 307
Hi Scott,

The usual machine of choice for light loads, small holes (meaning high-speeds) is a "sensitive" drill press.
However, I have never seen one with a lever feed below the table like your picture shows.
That's interesting, and I am "watching" this thread; somebody here will know it!

-brino

I think that style is called a camelback drill press. That machine must be at least 100 years old. That particular one looks like it was set up for exactly the type of work you are doing in a production environment. I did a picture search and only found one with a lever on it, but it was a much bigger machine.

There are small precision drill presses available, and rigging one with a lever would not be difficult. Google sensitive drill press

i have no clue as to who made the awesome little drill press,
but I WANT ONE !!!! :drool::drool::drool:

Wow, I can't believe the response, thank you very much! Just searching with the term "sensitive" immediately narrowed it down. That type of drill is what I need then, drilling some thin wood inlayed in metal on both sides. If I am not careful when you break through that middle layer of metal it can blow out the wood on back. Drill bits I use are #60, so quite small and flexible.

Thanks a ton Brino, think that's exactly the type I am looking for then! This machine I pictured is in France and in a shop that's over 100 years old as well. The paddle was weird at first but quickly became very comfortable and easy to control. I will begin a hunt for one of these and see what they cost.

Thanks again, amazing response! I look forward to further discussion here.

Edited: Because I can't type right the first time...

Last edited:
my small sensitive drilling machine is a model M-100 A 4241 made by The Sigourney Tool Company, Bloomfield Conn. perfect for tiny bits---- Dave

Thanks Dave, I will see if that helps in searching. All I can find are sold ones at Niels machines. Posted in the wanted area.

Back