Help identifying this grinder

RebelJD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently acquired this vintage pedestal grinder/drill bit sharpener. I can't find any identifying information anywhere on the machine. I believe it is 3 phase but I haven't dug into it much yet. Does anyone know anything about this thing? Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_9040[1].JPG

More pictures!
Seriously though there should be something cast in on one of the parts.

In my opinion, the grinder is a well built machine with a drill sharpener built as OEM equipment. For power, I would speculate a 240 volt single phase motor. That would be a guess based on the apparent age of the equipment and the switch mounted low on the front. It may well be 120 volts, but that is a huge motor for 120. The switch is available as a 2 pole switch, but I've never seen one as a 3 pole. There is a (small) overload mechanism built in, with 1 heater. There should be a cord between the switch and the motor. The number of conductors in that cord will be a "giveaway" for single or three phase. Single phase will have 2 wires from the motor and possibly 2 returning. A three phase will have 3 wires from and another 3 back. Add one more for a (possible) ground wire that may or may not be there.

Another way to check phasing is to open the connection box on the motor and count the wires that go into the frame of the motor. Three phase will have 3 or 9. A single phase motor will have 2 or 4 (or more if high voltage, but an even number), the latter more likely. If it is single phase, it likely will be 240 volts as mentioned earlier. In all my years (50+) as an industrial electrician, I have never seen a single phase 480 volt motor. They may exist, just I've never seen one. The motor may be wired for 120 volts, but unlikely. 240 is more likely. Even in 480 fed plants, there is usually a 240 volt circuit run throughout. A single phase load is connected to two of the three phases.

On the odd chance the motor is three phase, there should be a starter mounted somewhere, with the switch controlling the starter. With no evidence of a starter in the photos, I must assume the machine is single phase. All in all, finding a grinder so well built (solid) is a good find and well worth the trouble to get running. Worst case is to dismount the motor and find a motor shop. They can tell easily how the motor is connected. There will probably be a small charge, but worth it.

It's reminiscent of an older Sterling.
Perhaps a very early model...?

Maybe send the photo to McDonough and see if they can say if it is one of theirs.

I took the guards off and found the motor nameplate. It is 3 phase, 220v. Its a GE Motor, who I worked for as a field engineer for 38 years so I'll see if I can track the model number and get feel for the age. The switch on the front is a 3 pole switch, and it appears to be in good shape. The motor turns freely and has a1-1/4" shaft. The grinding wheels that came off are Norton so that tells me this was in a industrial environment as some point. I do plan to restore it, but not sure what path I'll take on the motor. I don't have 3 phase at my house. I may look at putting a VFD on it. I'll take more pictures when I get time.

I love these old machines, just don't make them them like this any more. It is a heavy beast.

Last edited:
Appears substantially complete and should clean up nicely.
Seems a worthy endeavor. Nice save!

Back