[Newbie] Help Installing Grizzly G4003g Pt. 2

alphapygmy

Registered
Registered
Another newbie question. Is there any reason not to use studs in the stands for my Grizzly G4003G. instead of the supplied bolts? It seems that would make it much easier to drop down into place initially and keep in place when shimming the bed to level. Thanks

Before you go to all that trouble I would determine how easily the studs you plan on using are going to pull out of the concrete. Your nightmare scenario is an earth quake, when 1,000 lbs of top heavy lathe starts rocking back and forth man I don't know how deep you would have to sink studs to hold it. As to your question yes I think studs would be easier.

I'd just use bolts there, there was ample wiggle room when I bolted mind down.

No reason at all. I do think it would be easier to align the bolts holes with the bolts, but either way would work.

....Your nightmare scenario is an earth quake......

If we have an earthquake so large that it knocks over a lathe, I think that's going to be the least of our worries. That's in the 8-9 range.

No reason at all. I do think it would be easier to align the bolts holes with the bolts, but either way would work.

If we have an earthquake so large that it knocks over a lathe, I think that's going to be the least of our worries. That's in the 8-9 range.

That 5 pointer we had years ago would topple this lathe over. Its not just that its top heavy and has a shallow foot print the head itself is lopsided weight wise and wants to pitch forward. Just my two cents worth Jim. Hey there's another good reason to buy the 16x40!

That being the case, I would be thinking outriggers on it anyway. As you suggested in the other thread, some 2x2 tubing welded to to base.

Okay, got the lathe placed on it's stands tonight. I must say, with the studs between the lathe and stands it couldn't have been easier. Just dropped the chip tray on the studs, wheeled the lathe over with the engine crane and dropped it down on the studs. Literally less than 60 seconds between starting to lower it and having the washers and nuts finger tight. I decided to use the factory stands but didn't install the sheet metal between the two legs. I'll be welding on some storage shelving and making some outriggers. I think that will help stiffen it up a little and make use of some wasted space.

Back