Help me blow a bunch of $$$

I need a bandsaw, badly... I need to be able to saw a 10" round. Could really deal with some small I-beam as well. It'd be cool if I could mitre. Point me at something!
Since you said mitre, I'm *guessing* your thinking horizontal bandsaw. I use a G0613 from Grizzly which I really like, although not quite 10". They make bigger model$. I like the swivel head for easy mitre cuts. I cut long stock, and have a 8' roller feed table, so the angling the stock type arrangement doesn't work well. Grizzly does OK with this type of equipment, I'd go PM for a lathe or mill.

Jeez . :( If you were only closer .

Now that I'm not working 80 hour weeks like I have for the last 3 months, I need to get back to the shop! I am woefully short on tooling, and could use some specific suggestions for things. Note: Not a chance of buying all this in one whack, but I do have a pretty large budget allocated. Any suggestions are seriously appreciated. Oh, the lathe is a PM 1660TL, so it's plenty stiff. It seems like either 1" or 3/4" shank tools are about right for it.

List of want/need:
-tooling for the lathe. Currently I have 1 WNMG 43X holder. I'm not married to WNMG. I'll take suggestions on that.
-specific inserts (what works well?) probably mostly working in steels, aluminum, stainless, and brass (is there an insert designed for brass?)
-a D1-6 3 jaw chuck that I can grab reasonably small diameter stuff with. The included chuck is kind of a POS. It takes two hands to turn it (after cleaning and deburring). I already have a pretty nice 4 jaw.

Boring bars: I'm leaning towards the buy once cry once theory. Might as well get carbide shanks, and a whole set. I don't see me using anything larger than a 1"
-inserts for these I'm at a loss.

Cutoff tooling: next to no experience with this. I usually used a bandsaw when I was a kid, so I could use some real direction here.

I need a bandsaw, badly... I need to be able to saw a 10" round. Could really deal with some small I-beam as well. It'd be cool if I could mitre. Point me at something!

A fullsize knee mill! I'm 100% cool with buying new here. I have 240v 3 phase service to the house. I hate R-8, would much rather deal with NMTB 30 or 40. Seems like 40 is a whole lot more ridgid than R-8 and NMTB 30, and CAT 40 is laying around everywhere.
-The mill will need stuff...
The first thing on your list you simply must add is...

Send budget to Michael( PM me for details)

I will make time to help....

-Michael-

I’m glad to see your hard work is paying off, and you are in the right place for help with spending your money!

For the three jaw chuck, I would recommend something with removable top jaws. That gives you the flexibility of making soft jaws when you need something that won’t mare the work, or if you have a special shape that needs holding. Changing the jaws from the small diameter orientation to larger diameters is quick too, usually faster than changing the solid jaws. I have a 5” Bison I bought back when they were cheap and it is great. They are on the expensive side now, but worth the money. Another Polish brand to look at is TMX.

For tooling, instead of buying everything you think you will need, it might be better to buy based on what projects you have coming up. If buying new, you can get just about anything you need in a couple days from the tooling vendors. With your size lathe, you can use just about anything you want. I have inserts for steel as well as aluminum, I have zero interest in grinding tools when I can just pop in an insert. The only time I grind something is when I need a form tool. My lathe is much smaller than yours, so I am using positive rake inserts, but I have been switching over to CCMT style tooling since one tool can turn and face, and they are used on boring bars as well. You can use the capabilities of negative rake inserts, so you might want to use those for your normal turning and then have some positive rake tooling if you turn thin pieces to reduce deflection. Carbide boring bars are a huge increase in cost over steel, so you might want to save that for when you really need the rigidity for deep bores and start with standard bars. I have a variety of brands of toolholders, but the TMX brand seems to be a nice value level, good quality, but not Kennemetal prices.

I agree with you about R8 spindles and for my next mill would be looking at getting a different taper. Sharp has knee mills with NT40 taper. Eisen also has NT40 taper spindle machines.

TAZmachinery in Cleveland Ohio sells the finest rebuilt Bridgeport you can buy.
Actually better when you consider their accuracy is better through more precise slide fit.
They have other equipment available definitely worth a look

If you make a trip to Cleveland you will find an abundance of machinery and tooling both new and used.much is within 15 minutes of the airport.
I would be happy to help if I can.

Reactions: K30
Now that I'm not working 80 hour weeks like I have for the last 3 months, I need to get back to the shop! I am woefully short on tooling, and could use some specific suggestions for things. Note: Not a chance of buying all this in one whack, but I do have a pretty large budget allocated. Any suggestions are seriously appreciated. Oh, the lathe is a PM 1660TL, so it's plenty stiff. It seems like either 1" or 3/4" shank tools are about right for it.

List of want/need:
-tooling for the lathe. Currently I have 1 WNMG 43X holder. I'm not married to WNMG. I'll take suggestions on that.
-specific inserts (what works well?) probably mostly working in steels, aluminum, stainless, and brass (is there an insert designed for brass?)
-a D1-6 3 jaw chuck that I can grab reasonably small diameter stuff with. The included chuck is kind of a POS. It takes two hands to turn it (after cleaning and deburring). I already have a pretty nice 4 jaw.

Boring bars: I'm leaning towards the buy once cry once theory. Might as well get carbide shanks, and a whole set. I don't see me using anything larger than a 1"
-inserts for these I'm at a loss.

Cutoff tooling: next to no experience with this. I usually used a bandsaw when I was a kid, so I could use some real direction here.

A fullsize knee mill! I'm 100% cool with buying new here. I have 240v 3 phase service to the house. I hate R-8, would much rather deal with NMTB 30 or 40. Seems like 40 is a whole lot more ridgid than R-8 and NMTB 30, and CAT 40 is laying around everywhere.
-The mill will need stuff...
I’m a little late in responding but sharing a few of my thoughts since I just bought a new mill and have a few mills of different sizes you might be considering. I’ve included a few pictures of the machines and the tooling to give a perspective on size.

In defense of R8 tooling, no it is not as ridged but if you keep stick-out and reach to a reasonable amount and if the machine and taper are in good shape, it is not a bad match for the rigidity of a Bridgeport-size machine. For many smaller or even precision operations I kind of prefer it. The machine of this size is easier to work with.

The Acra that I bought new is an R8. I’m really happy with this machine both in terms of quality and accuracy. I’ve also included a picture of my Birmingham mill. It is about the size of the Acra. I’m getting it ready to sell – too many mills.

I’ve had the Vectrax for a few years. It is a 40 taper with a nearly 4” quill, 5 hp, and weighing close to 3,500 lbs. It is more capable in terms of cutting and size of work, but the tooling is heavier, more expensive, and larger to store.

The next one is a Sajo, which is a high quality Swedish machine. It weighs about as much as the other two put together. It has a 50 taper, a 10 hp and nearly an 8” quill. It is more rigid and more capable, but the tooling is really heavy and more time consuming to change.

I also included a picture of my horizontal mill. One thing to keep in mind is if you have the room, you might want to consider a smaller Bridgeport-size vertical mill and a heavier horizontal or vertical mill which can be fairly cheap. My horizontal mill has a 50 taper and at 5,000 lbs. is capable of removing a decent amount of metal.

If you are wanting a vertical mill that would be a good match for the size of your lathe, I think it would more closely pair with the R8 Acra.

I wasn’t sure how much detail you might want, but if you have any questions, just ask.

I’ve also included some pictures of the tooling and draw bars of these machines. The large drawbar in the picture is for the horizontal mill. The Sajo’s drawbar is actually bigger (but decided not to pull it just for a picture.)

IMG_0792.jpg IMG_0793.jpg IMG_0794.jpg IMG_0795.jpg IMG_0797.jpg IMG_0800.jpg

Last edited:
Back