Help me choose some depth micrometers

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have it narrowed down to 3 sets so far. Prices are total with any shipping, etc.:

1. Starrett #449 $58
Older set, looks pretty good, nothing engraved on the tool
I've never used bladed depth mics; any advantages/disadvantages, etc.?
depth mic 1.jpg

2. Mitutoyo $75
These appear to be new. I can't find a number on them.
depth mic 2.jpg

3. Lufkin $48
An older set, cheapest of the 3. Comes with more rods.
depth mic 3.jpg

I'm a hobbyist in case that matters. I've found myself needing a depth mic on occasion and thought I'd see if I could pick up a used one.

I have the lufkin, it's a good set. BUT I wish that it had a ratchet thimble. It's hard to tell when you have bottomed out.

It takes a little getting used to. If the MIT has a ratchet, I would go for the MIT.

The 3" vs 6" depth rods depends on the size of work you are most likely to encounter. I have a Starrett 6" non-rotating blade on a centered 4" base, and love the extra capacity even if seldom needed. While I prefer the blades, they will bend if you are not careful and strike something. Treat them with care, and they are great.

The non-rotating (flat) blades are great for checking narrow slots, and I highly recommend non-rotating blades/rods vs rotating ones, as I get a much better 'feel' to my measurements with them.

One other possibility is an offset base. Think I only could have used that maybe twice over the years, so I like the centered base.

I like that cute little Starrett set . I have a Starrett 6" set and a Starrett 12" set I bought while an apprentice . Haven't had the need to use them since 1999 . That green calibration sticker sure does look familiar , those mics aren't in Md. by chance ?

I like that cute little Starrett set . I have a Starrett 6" set and a Starrett 12" set I bought while an apprentice . Haven't had the need to use them since 1999 . That green calibration sticker sure does look familiar , those mics aren't in Md. by chance ?
Neither Starrett set is in MD. Do either of them have a ratchet?

Personally I'd be tempted to go for the Mitutoyo in that it appears to be newer. It has the ratchet thimble and a greater range than the Starrett. A word of caution though. That set appears to be one listed as an auction. In addition to the bid price there's also a $35.00 shipping and handling fee. Sometimes auctions get out of hand near the end of the timeframe. The current price is about as high as I would go. In fact the price right now is a bit stiff for an unknown model.

As for the calibration sticker I think it's a standard format used by most calibrating companies. I have outside micrometers that were purchased from the shop I worked in, and others that came from a shop in Milwaukee Wisconsin that have the same sticker.

Having said that there's nothing wrong with the Lufkin set either. I have both depth and inside micrometers, and a planer gauge made by Lufkin. They all work fine and are just as accurate as my Starrett or Brown & Sharpe micrometers. They always seem to be a good value if you're not hung up on the name.

I ended up missing the boat on all of these, but I got one just like #1 (Starrett #449) for about $120 shipped. It's actually really nice. Anyone know how I would go about calibrating it?

you can get square gage blocks with a hole in the middle, those would work very well if calibration is needed. They come up on eBay from time to time.

Back