Help me decide: Light industrial vmc next year, or PM/Tormach now?

rmantoo

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I currently have no mill. I have owned a Rong fu, and a harbor freight in the past, and grew up with a Cincinatti in the barn/workshop.

My dilemma is: Buy either a PM 833 vt relatively soon, and convert to CNC almost immediately, buy a used Tormach now, or wait about a year, and find/buy a used trak VMC2.

I sort of have my heart set on the VMC2. I can buy the OP2 for about $12-15k, and the VMC2 for about $20k. The VMC2 has an ATC, which is SUPER appealing. The step down from the VMC2 would be a Tormach w/an ATC, but the VMC2 has a 6k spindle and can be upgraded (easily) to 10k (ftm, many vmc2s were sold new with the 10k spindle), and that makes a lot of operations much faster...to say nothing of the protrak RMX 'conversational' programming modules. I've played with this software on several of our vendors' machines, and it's light years ahead of any of the Mach3/4, Acorn, etc.

Likewise, if I go the VMC2 route, I will have to use a 3ph > 1ph converter... not a big deal, but I know one looses efficiency through converters, I just don't know how much.

I believe the VMC2/2OP will have a least better, if not far better, precision and repeatability. An ATC is hugely appealing, because I am an avid process-step critic, and find eliminating inefficiency where ever possible to be an intrinsic, basic part of my personality. While having any mill is certainly far better than none at all, and a CNC mill is a huge step up from there, a (light) commercial mill w/high spindle speeds, an ATC, and conversational programming (although the interface between actual programming and simple pre-programmed tasks is closer to an accurate description) seem to be light years ahead of the PM/Tormach options and abilities.

However, as with all things in life, waiting brings not just uncertainty, but possible further delays and postponements... I could pull the trigger on the PM (or potentially a used Tormach) right now. If I wait to save more money for the VMC2 and anything...life altering... were to happen in the meantime, it's very likely I would end up with no mill, at all.

I will primarily be working on pistol slides (probably 90% of the time), with other, general, uses being a distant second.

THIRD OPTION: Buy a Pm or Tormach now, then take the time to save up an buy a VMC2 later... I'm the type that would rather delay than immediately gratify myself, if I'm convicted in my belief that I would eventually end up w/the VMC2, rather than starting with one type now, knowing full well that relatively soon I'd be scrapping that one and switching to another, completely different, system.

Whichever route I take, I will likely keep that system for 6-10 years, and when I retire and move full-time out to the ranch (we have 3ph, 440v out there), I would likely get a larger, semi-industrial machine such as a Haas or Fadal, etc.

Thank you, in advance, for any advice or perspectives you all may be able to provide.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind....

Back