Help me set up a home shop for gunsmithing.

r14

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, want to start machining specificaly for gunsmithing and have no idea whear (I dont think thats spelled right) to start. What would you recomend as a good beginners set up that will be capable of the tolerances required in gunsmithing, but that I wont have to take out a second mortgage to be able to afford? Looking for a mill and lathe, and probably a band saw. Thanks in advance for any help guys.

ETA: sorry if this is in the wrong place, Im new.

It all has to deal with the amount of money you want to spend. I would go with a vertical milling machine (bridgeport style not a table top or knee mill), A good lathe( I happen to like the one put out by Grizzly sp. ) and the band saw can come from Harbor Freight. This would allow you to do anything you need. The cost will add up with the collet chuck for the lathe and a complete set of collets. You will also need a rotary table for the mill and a set of r8 collets. Plus tooling. I found that all the tooling cost as much as the equipment. Check out the auctions, back page and local shops for items they are selling.
Best of luck and hope this helped.

Thanks MG-42, what would you recomend as far as brand names. Specificaly what not to get.

r14,
There are sooooo many vendors out there selling mills and lathes it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between them. Most are even made in the same factories and just painted to whatever companies spec they are currently building. I have been using HF lathes which are Sieg's, and Real Bull has a great entry in the small market too. Mert Baker is a genius on the small stuff and runs a commercial gunsmithing shop, so he might be worth contacting over on the 7X site by Yahoo. If you need the link PM me and I will get it for you. How much gunsmith experience do you have? Beginner, mid level, mechanic or master craftsman? It may make a difference in the recomendations you get for machines. The current 10 or 12X36 class are a great way to go also. If you would like to give us some additional info, like available power voltage amd shop size that will help a good bit too. Welcoe to the hobby and I hope to see you and your projects often. Here is the group link on Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x12minilathe/
Bob

r14,
There are sooooo many vendors out there selling mills and lathes it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between them. Most are even made in the same factories and just painted to whatever companies spec they are currently building. I have been using HF lathes which are Sieg's, and Real Bull has a great entry in the small market too. Mert Baker is a genius on the small stuff and runs a commercial gunsmithing shop, so he might be worth contacting over on the 7X site by Yahoo. If you need the link PM me and I will get it for you. How much gunsmith experience do you have? Beginner, mid level, mechanic or master craftsman? It may make a difference in the recomendations you get for machines. The current 10 or 12X36 class are a great way to go also. If you would like to give us some additional info, like available power voltage amd shop size that will help a good bit too. Welcoe to the hobby and I hope to see you and your projects often. Here is the group link on Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x12minilathe/
Bob

Thanks for the warm welcome. As far as gunsmithing experience I would say I am at mid level, more than most people, but no master by any means. I also have no machining experience, so it will definetly be a beginers setup. I will be turning my garage into a shop, so I dont have a ton of room, and I am kind of stuck with 110V. Thanks for the help.

No problem, you can still have an excelent small shop in a garage. 110 is a very small handicap that you may need to re-adress later, but you can definately get started and have a very nice shop with what you decide to include. If you can afford it look for a lathe that is a couple of inches longer than you plan for your barrels and a mill with the largest work table and longest travels possible. The Grizzlies, HF's and other vendors all offer varying levels of tooling and accessories like steady rests, follow rests and basic tooling. There is a fellow on You Tube called MrPete222 who uses the psuedo name of tubal cain. He does some very nice vids too. It's always best to get as many different views and points of view possible to really round out your education and advance your skills. LMS also has some escelent vids on lathe and mill operations . Hope this gets ya revved up and ready to have a blast.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
The lathe is the most critical tool. If you buy a new lathe, there is only one choice IMO - Grizzly G4003G. Look it up.
Otherwise, look for a 12x36 or 13x40 on the local used market. Stay away from pre-war stuff and Atlas.

For a mill, a BP is the standard, but plenty of good work is done with smaller mills. Millrites, Clausings and Rockwells for sure, even Benchmaster.
I've even seen the old round-column Chinese mill-drills in some good gunsmith shops. One of the bigger square-column benctops like the X3 and similar should also do well.
All the other choices give up some table length to the BP. Maybe someone can give examples where the table length is an issue.

For the bandsaw, as MG43 says the small Chinese 4x6s work fine, but I'd pay a little more for a JEt or Enco, and maybe Grizzly because the stand is much more substantial. I've had both, and the HF is gone.

Check your zoning, if you are going to work on others guns get a license. As far as a mill, there are a lot of good used mills available, don't buy a beat up Bridgeport just to have a Bridgeport. Lathes, check the hole through the spindle so that you can get a barrel through it. If not then get one with enough bed length to chamber on. You will want a 3 jaw, 4 jaw and a collett chuck is really handy, actually you may want a collett chuck before a 3 jaw, just buy standard stock diameters and you are fine. Save your bandsaw money and spend it on something more useful, like a couple of extra hacksaw blades. Don't waste your money buying Machinerys Handbook or any of the vintage gunsmithing books, they are useless to you. See if your Community College has any machinist courses. I went to gunsmithing school 26 years ago and in the past I was a metalsmith in the ACGG, I am currently fulfilling my year associate member requirements before rejoining the guild, if they will have me back. I normally only lurk on these sites, however I'm willing to share what works for me if you're interested.

As far as 110, I run lathe , mill, grinder all off of a rotary phase converter, can't tell the difference.

I was thinking I'd offer to help by being your personal purchaser! Simply send me $100,000 to get started with and I'll go ahead and begin buying the machinery and tooling for you, heck I'll even set it up and test it out. Of course very soon when the initial "feed" money runs out I will require the next $100,000 installment to continue the cycle!!!

Yes I was being Facetious, but as mentioned it really all depends on what you want to do, how much you want to spent and how frugal can you afford to be. However, if you have a need for a really good tax write off, please contact me off line!

There will be lots of advise to consider on here and all mean well. Just do your research and figure what pace you choose to go as the sky can be the limit!

Good Luck!

Back