Help me spend my money on a TIG welder!

Mauser lover

Registered
Registered
Okay, I know there are a zillion other places on the web I could ask, but since everyone on this forum has helped me spend more money than I planned in the past, I figured you guys would be more than happy to help this time! That's what these hobby forums are for, right!? :D

So, to start off, here's my budget.
$500

Here's what I want to do:
TIG (I know, GTAW) weld steel. Most of the time I will be welding steel. Having MIG (yeah, GMAW, whatever) is a plus, but I may never use it. Stick (SMAW, or something like that) welding is enough of a plus that I'm not going to get a welder that can't do it, but I'm pretty sure that any TIG welder is going to be able to do stick.

TIG weld aluminum. Maybe I'm not going to do this all that much, but I want to be able to do it. So... Gotta be able to do AC-TIG.

Don't know what numbers/how thick of metal I need to be able to do, so please edumacate me on all that.

What else do I really need. Square wave? Is that good or bad? I really don't know what I need. I've had a one-semester multi-process welding class at a community college, but other than that, I'm pretty clueless.

Anyway, here's the welder I'm considering, yes, I know it is a Horrible Fright, but I've actually come to like some of their stuff.

And yes! I know I already blew my budget! So... if you find me something that is anywhere close to that, and better for one reason or another... Please! I need your help to spend my money! Thanks all.

I'm not even where you are at yet, being in my first semester of welding class. I have however been window shopping welders for when I have a better idea of what I need / want.

I think you know, the $500 budget probably isn't enough for what you want even on the used market.

That HF Vulcan is not really all that much cheaper than a Lincoln or Miller Multiprocess machine (Miller 215 retail $1600, Lincoln 210 $1400) particularly if you waited for a rebate or sale which do come around. That would give you a name brand for warranty and parts support, and also gives you Mig in addition to the Tig and stick. Both a 120/240 machines like the Vulcan. I don't mean to trivialize $400-600, but once you are at $1000, what is another $400-600. ;)

You also have the option of going down scale, HF also has a cheaper Titanium 120/240 multi-process welder, it has specs very similar to the Vulcan you linked to, but it is green. Again gives you Mig, Tig and stick and it isn't even that much more than your very optimistic budget ($699). If you wait for one of those HF20% off coupons you might even come in at your budget.

https://www.harborfreight.com/weldi...cess-welder-with-120240-volt-input-64806.html

The duty cycle on all of these machines is fairly low, but the Miller and Lincoln are rated a little better. I do know the HF welders do have their fans.

Personally I'm looking at the Miller 215. All I really need is a wire feed for doing auto body rest repair, but if I'm going to spend close to $1000, I'd rather spend a little more and get something that will do it all. To get a Tig machine, you have fewer cheap options than with Mig.

I've heard good things about the AHP tig machine but it's over your budget by 300$
Consider MIG if you might want to do thin sheet metal work. Harder to do it with TIG without a lot of practice
Mark

Try this one and let me know your results. I've heard good and bad. Nice price for an ac tig unit . 60 % duty cycle.
I have a Miller 215 with a spool gun. Havn't had any problems but after tig welding steel I would like to try ac tig. Just having a hard time spending another 750. Should have just bought a little bigger welder with ac tig.
2018 AHP AlphaTIG 200X

Last edited:
I don't think you can get an ac/dc tig machine or under 800 bucks. I bought an Everlast powertig 185 several years ago. Its been a great machine.

I just bought a Lincoln Electric Square Wave TIG 200 recently and I hate it, dont buy the Square Wave TIG 200, I should have bought the Miller Syncrowave 200..... If you make a decision dont let a salesman talk you into something else...

Love my miller dynasty 200dx. But you’d need to up your price alittle. The ahp brand is pretty good and esab also. Everlast has some good reviews and a good price.

If your budget is really $500, buy used. That's the only way you'll get something worthwhile that's also within your budget.

Last edited:
I bought the AHP Alpha Tig 200x 2 years ago and love it.
It does TIG AC/DC and stick. Once you get the settings dialed in it welds AC great.
The stick isn't too bad either. Ran some 7018 thru it on some 1/4' plate and it does a good job with plenty of penetration.
DC TIG is awesome on thin sheet.
For an under $800 multi-process welder it is great for the Home Hobbyist.

Back