Help - My Colchester Triumph Lathe has Excessive Axial Clearance

blueacre

Registered
Registered
I purchased an older Colchester Triumph Round Head Stock Lathe back in January. Finished setting it up in my shop last week. Converted it from 575V to 230V 3 phase using a VFD. See attached picture of my lathe for reference. Used it so far for a small project and seemed to work fine. The gear box seems to run quiet with no unusual noises or vibrations. A

This morning I was shifting the headstock speed range lever from high to low and I noticed when I moved the lever to the right toward the tailstock and the gears started to engage the chuck moved slightly to the right. I checked with a dial indicator from the carriage to the chuck and I am getting close to 0.060" axial movement. I checked the vertical movement of the chuck with the dial indicator on top and prying the bottom of the chuck up. There is less than 0.001" vertical movement.

End play of 60 thou seems real bad - is it possible its just bearing adjustment or is it likely to be something much worse. I was surprised there is so little vertical movement with that much end play in the spindle.

I pulled the left side spindle bearing cover off and I see there is an adjusting nut. See picture of the spindle nut below. The steel nut with the pin holes in the side seems to be tight although I didn't use lot of force yet until I find out what I need to do. There is what looks like an aluminum ring behind the nut with about 20 holes around the outer circumference. I am able to turn that ring independent of the spindle shaft fairly easily by putting a punch in one of the holes and pulling it sideways by hand.

Can the spindle end play be adjusted from outside the the gearbox using that nut or are there adjustments that need to be done from inside the gearbox. I have worked on car and tractor transmissions but never been inside a lathe gear box before. I would appreciate any suggestions on where to start to try and address the axial clearance issue.

Lathe 1.jpg

Spindle nut.jpg

You probably want to get a manual for it, I'm thinking the ring with 4 holes is the bearing preload adjustment
Probably there's a factory tool for that but you could make up a spanner

Last edited:
Sounds like the bearing preload needs to be reset. I am with Mark on finding a manual and setting it properly.

You probably want to get a manual for it, I'm thinking the ring with 4 holes is the bearing preload adjustment
Probably there's a factory tool for that but you could make up a spanner
With help from John K on Practical Machinist site forum I found out the nut on the left end has nothing to do with spindle end play - there is a nut inside the gearbox next to the chuck end spindle bearing that is adjusted to set the axial end play.

Sounds like the bearing preload needs to be reset. I am with Mark on finding a manual and setting it properly.
See my previous response to markba633csi on setting axial clearance - note from what I have learned so far there is no preload on the bearing for this machine and preloading it can damage the bearing.

I plan to purchase a manual for this lathe but from what I have seen in other Colcheter lathe manualslike the Student, Master 2500, Triumph 2000, and several models of Clausing Colchester that are available as free downloads, there is good info on operation, routine maintenance, lubrication and spare parts diagrams but not much if any detail on internal things like setting bearing clearances.

I haven’t found that info either. I have a manual for my Master 6.5 and it doesn’t have it.

You can find it at vintagemachinery.org for free.
Those are Gamet bearings. The pre-load is built in the spring loaded bearings.

This one looks just like yours But, I think you will find tour Triumph also
Thanks for the reply - I have a copy of that manual already - it is very similar to mine and probably many of the parts are the same but some differences - the feed levers on the carriage are different. It looks like this Clausing Colchester 15 inch has a clutch and brake in the headstock pulley and is a 3 HP drive. The Colchester Triumph only has a brake in the pulley and is a 5 HP. The manual gives very simple procedure for removing spindle but I dont see any thing on bearing adjustment

Back