Help needed moving 14 x 40 Lathe in Gilroy, CA

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Anyone available to help me get a lathe from Gilroy to my home in Santa Cruz? There are two machine skates on-site, I will rent a trailer to pull behind my pickup truck but any assistance would be great between now and next Sunday.

I'll feed you well, or can pay cash if that's what it takes.

John

Maybe rent a fork lift. Don't know what they charge know days. Wouldn't hurt to check. Some rental yards also have what is called a drop bed trailer where the bed can be hydraulically lower to ground level . Then you can roll the machine on and raise the bed back up . To unload just reverse the process. Good luck.

Maybe rent a fork lift. Don't know what they charge know days. Wouldn't hurt to check. Some rental yards also have what is called a drop bed trailer where the bed can be hydraulically lower to ground level . Then you can roll the machine on and raise the bed back up . To unload just reverse the process. Good luck.

Thanks, I feel like a forklift would be overkill. The seller thinks it's 1500lbs but I have documentation saying more like 800lbs. Plus, it's in a garage with a bunch of other stuff so getting a forklift into there would be tough.

I do have a buddy that helped me with moving my 8' x 10' shed a while back, and the local rental house does offer Johnson Bars, toe jacks and machine skates as well as a tilt equipment trailer. I've moved bigger stuff by myself but just thought I'd put it out there to the community.

John

I just lifted my 2500 pound Takisawa with a HF 2 ton engine hoist. It was excellent for positioning it exactly.
I did have a drop bed trailer (those things are terrific) and had to pull it on and off that.

I just lifted my 2500 pound Takisawa with a HF 2 ton engine hoist. It was excellent for positioning it exactly.
I did have a drop bed trailer (those things are terrific) and had to pull it on and off that.

Any idea who rents drop bed trailers, my local place only has tilt beds.

John

Correction on the weight, it is 1500lbs

no Idea about trailers in Santa Cruz...I got mine in Rocklin, CA.

Just a word of caution. If you search on fork lift and trailer rental, your google ads for the next year will be for Chinese made excavators and bulldozers. Ask me how I know.....

Just a word of caution. If you search on fork lift and trailer rental, your google ads for the next year will be for Chinese made excavators and bulldozers. Ask me how I know.....

That's easy to solve....

I use three different browsers:

Firefox which I'm using right now for general internet browsing, forums, searches, and reading the news, it's set to clear cookies every time I shut it down so when the adds get annoying I just close it and open it up again.

Google Chrome (Chromium on this system) which I allow to keep cookies and use for things like webmail, logging into school and work systems, banking, and anything else where I don't want to keep having to go through two factor identification every time I use it. I even let it keep SOME of my website passwords, not banking, but sites I log into all the time it's more convenient that way especially with sync so I can have them across all the different computers I use. I use a different password manager for more secure stuff.

Then for super-secret-squirel browsing I use Opera with it's built in VPN. I don't actually do anything illegal or potentially problematic like bit-torrents for movies so no reason to go as far as TOR Browser but it's nice to have that extra level of security a VPN provides. That one is also set to dump cookies but since I exclusively use it in Private mode that really doesn't matter.

So, from a simple request for help moving a machine to an internet security lesson - there you go :encourage:

John

Back