Help On How To Set Up And Make This Item.

Ken_Shea

Active User
Registered
Drawing a blank on how this could accurately be set up and machined.
Spindles need to be perfectly aligned with each other end to end.

OAL aprox 12"
Rectangular Center block is;
Width 3"
Length 2"
Height 1.375
Spindles are at a 2º up tilt from the block.

Thanks for any and all input.

Ken

MRS.jpg

Is it possible to make that in 3 pieces, threading the spindles into the central block? Secure with locktite?

Other than that, extend the centerline of each of the spindles and that is where the center goes to turn each piece.

What is the part for? If it isn't subjected to shock loading, you could machine the two sides and then cast them in place with epoxy granite for the rectangular section.

Alternatively, you could use a cnc mill with a fixture plate to allow accurate flipping of the part to machine both sides. The main issue is if you need straight cut steps on the sides or if they could be radiused

Unfortunately Jim, it cannot be made in three pieces, oh how that would simplify things.
This whole thing is bringing me into an area of lathe work where I've never been, have spent quite a bit of time trying to get rid of taper though:)
I am foreseeing all kinds of problems maintaining exact duplicate taper at each end and also in the threading.
How to thread is not the issue but threading on a taper with the compound isn't working in my head.

gt40,
It is a highly stressed helicopter part that will need to be one piece of some very expensive metal that I can't afford to screw up while machining.
The sides could be perpendicular to the stubs, that would not be a problem.

Am afraid this part may have to be farmed out to a CNC lathe and final OD grind on the stubs.
In thinking on it, originally they were not made with CNC so maybe just going to require more thought and perhaps doing a test piece to get the feel of it which would not be a bad idea anyway.

Any additional thoughts are most welcome.

Ken

If it is standerd taper pipe thread then you can use a pipe die to thread it. If not you would need a taper atachment to thread it. Or CNC.

Thanks kd4gij
Not a pipe thread, a taper attachment being required was what I was figuring, sadly don't have one and haven't seen one as an option for this MSC 14x40 Taiwan lathe.

To achieve the angle, perhaps a fixture could be made to mount in a 4 jaw chuck, to hold each end the same.

Is this the general idea of what you are trying to do?

For one part this will involve A LOT of set up work on a lathe including a CNC lathe, the turning is easy the set up is difficult and not possible if the sides of the rectangular block are not also faced at 2º.

24eauqx.jpg

Provided that center drilling is permitted, turn between centers with the tailstock offset. A practice piece is definitely a good idea (you could even use hardwood) :)

Last edited:
Back