Help please: disassembling tail stock on Sears 109 lathe

DreadPir8

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

This is my first post. I recently acquired a Sears 109 mini lathe and am currently in the process of performing a full restoration. Once challenge I"m facing is hos to separate the handle from the tailstock assembly. There appears to be a recessed pin of some sort but I can't tell if it's threaded or simply a friction fit. I tried tapping with a punch and it didn't budge. I don't want to be too aggressive in case it is threaded and risk damaging the threads. Has anyone done this before? Would appreciate any advice or guidance.

Attachments

• tailstock_c.jpg
    tailstock_c.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 9
  • tailstock_a.jpg
    tailstock_a.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 9
  • tailstock_b.jpg
    tailstock_b.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 9
I don't have one of those, but know there are a number of manuals with parts drawings/list for various versions at:
VintageMachinery.org
The 1945 version looks most similar to yours, and shows the handle attached with part SP-320, a "No. 0000 1/2" TAPER pin"
That suggests to me that it needs to be driven out in one direction only - put the punch on the smallest end of the pin and drive it out toward the large end. Good Luck.

Larry F.

1692205768288.png

Thank you so much Larry! It was indeed a tapered pin and thanks to you, I was able to successfully remove it. I also located the manual for my model lathe (109.20630) on VintageMachinery. That will be an invaluable resource going forward.

Back