Help Please With Led's

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
I need a source for UVA1 led's. They have to be in the 340-400 NM range only.
I 'v gone to a bunch of sites that sell them but can't find the specific range I need.
I will try to swap them out in led flash light to test a treatment for my SCLE.
*******Thanks***************G**************cartangrysj1.gif****************************

cartangrysj1.gif

Have you tried Digikey or Allied?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No but thanks for the tip. My problem is I don't speak electrical, I'm a nuts and bolts guy. LOL.
I will jump over there and give it a whirl.
***Thanks***G***

Try Mouser also. Digikey usually has a high minimum order.

Thanks for all the leads guy's.
My plan is to swap the 9 white LED's in a cheap Harbor Freight flash light.
Then test it on a small patch of skin on my arm .
If it works then the plan is to build a bigger unit.
I know it sounds strange but from all that I have read the light will help to kill all the extra white cells that my body is producing
Lupus is a auto immune disorder that leaves me photo sensitive. That means going out in the sun with out long sleeves and a hat and gloves is bad.
Living in Florida thats hard to do.
***Thanks Again for all the help*********G********

It is not only having a very specific light spectrum (UVA-1), but also the intensity and area treated, the articles on this subject vary on the intensity needed. More recent articles suggest a benefit was not intensity specific, earlier articles used low dose. You need a device/bulb that emits a very specific narrow light spectrum (340-400 nm), using a bunch of UV flashlight LEDs is unlikely to give both the spectrum and intensity needed. You also need eye protection when using any UV phototherapy. SLE is a serious disease, it may be worth investing in specific treatment device (see link), although they do not list output on the model below. I would also check with your doctor so you can monitor using this treatment.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UVA-phototh...284715?hash=item1a0ba1862b:g:ZJEAAOSwSHZWg8wU

They do sell UVA specific LED bulbs (400 nm) but it is unclear of how specific or other UV components that are emitted. This would be easier than a flashlight conversion, but I have no idea if this is a viable alternative.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snake-Turtl...hash=item3f1dd02fea:m:mWnYnGS-r7kK4ZxqRxItDQw

Attachments

• Light therapy with UVA-1 for SLE patients - Rheumatology-2006-Pavel-653-5.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
You might take a look at UV laser pointers. I picked up a number of them some years ago for uv curing adhesive. I believe that they are 405 nm and most lkely fallout from the BluRay DVD writers. They are fairly cheap on e-bay.

Yes I agree with all you wrote....And thanks for the links .......But the florescent bulbs are $40.00 a pop.
I just want to do one 9 bulb flash light and test one small area and see if there is any improvement before I jump into the high dollar devices.
***G***

Back