Help Removing Spindle On Sb 9a Rebuild

jhmiii

Registered
Registered
I am nearing the end of my 9A disassembly. The rebuild manual specifies loosening the two 3/8 bolts on top (done) and removing the take-up collar and washer (done and didn't have one). I tried a few taps with my 2# dead blow hammer on the left end and then got aggressive. No amount of force I have been able to generate with the dead blow has budged the spindle. Am I missing a pin somewhere? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. The posted photos hopefully provide a good overview of the situation.
Head - left end.JPG Head - right end.JPG Head.JPG

My 10k was very hard to get started. I initially used a dead blow hammer and it didn't budge. There's a thread here or on Practical Machinist about using a threaded rod and nuts. I think that's also in the rebuild manual for reassembly. I simply reversed it and used it to remove the spindle. There's also a youtube video on it as well. It's much easier than using a hammer.

For me, a dead blow was able to knock the spindle out. Although I used a 2x4 on the back end of spindle and 5lb hammer. the momentum of the hammer help budge the spindle. Upon reassembly, I had to remove the oil cups in order to place a skinny screw driver in the hole to keep the oil felts below bearing surface.

I also removed the back gear to inspect all surfaces.

If you are careful, use some heat on the large toothed gear since that is keyed to the spindle shaft.

My 10k was very hard to get started. I initially used a dead blow hammer and it didn't budge. There's a thread here or on Practical Machinist about using a threaded rod and nuts. I think that's also in the rebuild manual for reassembly. I simply reversed it and used it to remove the spindle. There's also a youtube video on it as well. It's much easier than using a hammer.

A good utube video is one by halligan140. He used a threaded rod, some washers & nuts and 2 X 4 blocks.

This is how I removed mine. A piece of tubing to fit over the end of the spindle, as a receiver, two blocks of wood and a threaded rod. Put some tension on the threaded rod and whack the end with a mallet. Once it starts to move, you can press it out with the threaded rod.

Thanks to all who responded. I tried the threaded rod through the spindle technique to no avail. The previous owner stopped by this morning. He had removed the spindle to replace a gear. He was convinced there was no problem. He then proceeded to knock out the spindle with the dead blow hammer. He is quite a bit bigger than I am and maybe more willing to have at it. He got it out and now I am off to the weight room. Looks like I need to bulk up to handle this lathe!

Back