Help required - Tida lathe TD4-AV 1977 model

Danie snr

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I need assistance in figuring out;
1. What the assembly in the pictures below is. I think it is a clutch assembly that can be used to either engage or disengage the apron gears when using the automatic feed.
2. What should the selector or knob look like which is used to engage or disengage the clutch.

The image below shows the apron assembly for my 1977 Tida (Taiwanese) lathe.
Tida Apron full view.jpg

In the foto above(the wheels/selectors from the left) you have the hand wheel, then a cross/longitudinal feed selector, just next to that the unidentified green collar which I think must be some kind of clutch mecanism, but I'm not sure. It is in this regard that I need some assistance please. Lastly there is the halfnut engage lever.
My problem is with the unidentified green collar. The next image shows the shaft assembly (linked to that collar, removed from the apron) in both assembled and exploded views:
Feed exploded view.jpg
In the pic above you will notice the shaft at the back has a tapered head with grooves cut into it which fits into the gear, also tapered with grooves cut into it. That then fits into the shaft in the foreground which is spring loaded to disengage the tapers. Below you will get an idea of the assembled piece.
Automatic feed drive.jpg
The green collar screws onto the outer shaft which then leaves the inner shaft to connect to something else that can be used to engage or disengage the apron gears by pulling the tapers together to engage them, thus turning the gears in the apron. I am trying to find out what that something must look like and how does or should it operate?
Automatic feed fit.jpg
In the fotos above it would appear that somehow there should be a selector or knob or something attached to the inner shaft. The picture below shows the rear view of the apron as well as where the gear on the clutch assembly is situated. The womr gear is driven by the automatic feed shaft from the gearbox which in turn drives the gears in the apron via the so called 'clutch'.
Tida Apron rear view.jpg

I hope that someone on here will be able to assist me in my quest to figure out the design of this mysterious selector/knob.

Thank you
Danie

Tida Apron full view.jpg Feed exploded view.jpg Automatic feed drive.jpg Automatic feed fit.jpg Tida Apron rear view.jpg

Last edited:
Your attachments are not on file that I can locate. If you would please try again, or upload the pictures to your album.

The pictures should show now. I loaded them to my album as well.

Based on your pictures, I thought the arrangement is similar to what is found on American Pacemaker aprons. It uses two clutch levers, separating the X and Z axis feeds. What they do is have an eccentric cam arrangement built into a lever that pulls the clutch mandrel into the cone.

I couldn't locate a picture quickly on the Pacemaker, but Monarch uses a system similar:

50813B.jpg

Then I considered the likelihood that the mandrel would rotate when engaged, and it brought my mind back to an older lathe that had, for lack of a better term, scalloped disc-like nuts on the mandrel that, when tightened, pull the mandrel into engagement with the cone.

Let's see if anyone comes up with a lathe built like this one and can give a definitive answer.

50813B.jpg

Just from the pics I would say a nut goes on there to adjust the clutch.

The mandrel does rotate when engaged therefore that rules out the possibility of levers on the original arangement.
It has either got to be scalloped disc-like nuts which one turn in order to engage or disengage the mandrel or it is simply as kd4gij puts it a nut that is used to adjust the clutch friction.
Lets asume for a moment that it is the latter. What would the reasoning be behind having this on the apron. Was it just for safety reasons? if so what is the propper way of adjusting the friction, how tight should it be?

Back