Help Selecting Inserts

Seco makes excellent inserts
The linked inserts will work for stainless but will wear a bit quicker
I have done the same thing with another brand

Reactions: rwm
I use a lot of uncoated inserts for stainless
I bought a few lots of old stock from a business that shut down, unfortunately most were not marked with a manufacturer.

The linked ones you mentioned will work.
If you have CBN or Diamond wheels, you can easily resharpen the inserts as necessary

I have tried the cheap imports, they work too, but fracture easily

I use a lot of uncoated inserts for stainless
I bought a few lots of old stock from a business that shut down, unfortunately most were not marked with a manufacturer.

The linked ones you mentioned will work.
If you have CBN or Diamond wheels, you can easily resharpen the inserts as necessary

I have tried the cheap imports, they work too, but fracture easily
LOL- My cheap imports are fracturing quickly, hence my need for better replacements.!

Maybe this will help> It's a chart explaining what the insert designation means. If you can't download it, PM me and I'll email it to you. You can use this chart to figure out which insert is best for which application.

I just noticed there is no definition for the 4th letter if the 4th letter is a T. I'll see if I can find another chart.

Attachments

• Insert Chart.pdf
    257.9 KB · Views: 13
Found it. PM me if you can't download this.

Attachments

• Insert abbreviation Chart.pdf
    260.8 KB · Views: 14
Thanks. I have a similar chart and David's book. The devil is in the details. I don't know what coating or edge treatment to look for and I don't know how to tell by the insert numbers.

Thanks. I have a similar chart and David's book. The devil is in the details. I don't know what coating or edge treatment to look for and I don't know how to tell by the insert numbers.
It will depend on what you are cutting. I'd look up the inserts and see what the description tells you, if anything, about what they recommend. Or, do the reverse and look up what a given material calls for as far as rake angle, coating, etc.

If that's too much trouble, get a general-purpose insert.

Last edited:
For light cutting and stainless, I use CCGT060204, DCGT070204 inserts for aluminum. These are (not coated) very sharp and don't require a heavy cut for a good finish. I also avoid the larger size inserts because these are made for heavy cuts and my bench top lathes are not rigid enough for heavy cuts.
For general cutting steel (and stainless) I use CCMT060204 and DCMT060204 inserts VP15TF (coating and chip breaker). These are for finishing and do well on my bench top lathes.

If you can't use the recommended feeds and speeds, the chip breaking will not work and you will not produce chips but long curls. Stainless curls are razor sharp and can ripoff a finger in no time.

If you use inserts, you need to cut dry or really flood cooling otherwise the insert will crack due to the large temperature changes. I cut dry!!!

In general, I try to avoid stainless.

Back