Help Selecting Inserts

Thanks. I have a similar chart and David's book. The devil is in the details. I don't know what coating or edge treatment to look for and I don't know how to tell by the insert numbers.
Those numbers are unique to each manufacturer, so you will need check the manufacturer’s website to see what each mean. In the case of the inserts you referenced, the F1 indicates that’s a finishing grade, so will work for light cuts. If you needed to take finer cuts than the minimum depth of cut of 0.01” shown on the back, you might want the FF1 design. The Kennametal equivalent to the Seco F1 is LF, so you can’t directly interchange without the manufacturers charts like you can with the insert size numbers. MSC has a chart that shows how the different chip breaker styles compare.

Reactions: rwm
You might have a look at these Iscar inserts, I use a similar IC907 "SM" for a wide range of steels as a general all around insert, the "PF" is specifically for stainless and exotic alloys. They tend to be CCMT, but with a sharper up raked cutting edge. Might try a partial box to see if they work for you. Seco TP2500 should also work well. I find CCGT uncoated to only work well for light cuts in ferrous materials.
CCMT 09T304-PF IC907

Seco CCMT32.52-F1 TP2500

I bought that box of 5 and I will check it out. Thanks guys!

That chip breaker cross reference looks very useful. However, I think it may have some errors? The Iscar inserts I bought have a PF chip breaker. Iscar does not have that on the chart and Sandvic does????

It’s possible there are mistakes in the table, but companies also are constantly changing designs, so I would expect to see some designs that are obsolete included, or new designs not captured by the table as well. I would take vendor tables like this as a guide to start your research instead of as an all inclusive guide.

Chip breaker is usually specific to the stated characteristics of the specific insert and the type of turning/materials it is rated for. You need to go to the manufactures listings for further details, and since there are a zillion inserts and they keep changing finding the exact designation and properties can be challenging. This is from a 2012 Iscar catalog. Also how they operate on different machines can be very different.

1703567491246.png

Back