help wiring cincinnati hydrashifts please

10 amps is too low of a fuse for a 7.5 hp rpc on 240 v.
Phase a matic says 40 amp time delay fuses for a 7.5 hp on a NEMA size 1 contactor for 240 v operation.
if you were to install an overload on the contactor it would need to be set at 26 amps

it is common for a RPC to run warmer if it is not balanced.

is the phase a matic's third leg on a momentary switch? if is not it should be when it's utilized for a pony motor if you are using a static converter .

you want the phase a matic static converter only to start the pony(slave) motor then the rpc will run unassisted from the singe phase input.
if the phase a matic's third leg is left in circuit,
the phase a matic static converter will inject a DC pulse from the start capacitor contained inside the unit, any time voltage dips below a preset level.

this is a bad thing when trying to start other motors from the pony motor and may be a factor in the problem you are experiencing.
it has the tendency to want to start the next motor in line in reverse.
when a phase a matic is used without a pony motor and hooked directly to the intended 3 phase motor, the DC charge is going directly to the motor it is driving and you would not have to consider any ramifications of starting a second motor.

i'd be happy to help instruct you to get er done, should you need a hand .

i hope the information helps out

Last edited:
photo 1 (59).JPGits the phase-a-matic R7 premanufactured RPC, I am trying to run a cincinatti hydrashift. it ran the bridgport just fine. this is my setup, I have 220 in to the 30amp disconnect, which now has 30 amp fuses in it. disconnect to rpc, for shut off, to 3 phase panel then to machines. no I do not have any motor starters or contacts in between. I was under the assumption that how I had it was just fine. I haven't been getting much help at practicalmachinist.

photo 1 (59).JPG

if you have the manufactured unit, then you have it wired up correctly.
it is not necessary to put the manufactured units on a momentary switch.
i made the assumption that you were using the static converter to run the RPC, sorry for the confusion

your problem lies in too light of a fuse rating, but you have put higher rated fuses in the system.
you shouldn't have much trouble, but if you do don't hesitate to holler
we can get it smoothed out pretty quickly i'm sure.

Last edited:
Back