Help with 3 phase motor wiring broken

ZombiWelder

Registered
Registered
Gentlemen!
Does anyone know how to remove the windings from three phase motor without destroying them? I ordered a lovely 2 hp motor for VFD use. The plate clearly stated 230/460 v. The wiring housing box has a diagram for hi and low voltage, but the wires for 230v are missing. I dont know what's more likely : that motor got mislabeled, or wires got ripped out some how. The eBay seller refunded the price and doesn't want the motor back. I pulled it apart, I can't see how to gently remove the windings to see and trace the wires.
Thanks a bunch!

It is not likely you can remove windings without ruining them. My guess is that the motor has been re-wound as a single voltage motor.

The question is: Is the motor currently wound for 230 or 460? Since one wire set seems to be missing, hard to be sure unless there is some other identifier.

The 460 wires are all there, the motor having been rewound for 460 seems pretty likely i should have thought about it , it has bern repainted and the bearings seemed surprisingly fresh. Thank you!

Take it to a motor shop, they should be able to fix it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Gentlemen!
Does anyone know how to remove the windings from three phase motor without destroying them? I ordered a lovely 2 hp motor for VFD use. The plate clearly stated 230/460 v. The wiring housing box has a diagram for hi and low voltage, but the wires for 230v are missing. I dont know what's more likely : that motor got mislabeled, or wires got ripped out some how. The eBay seller refunded the price and doesn't want the motor back. I pulled it apart, I can't see how to gently remove the windings to see and trace the wires.
Thanks a bunch!
Can you not change the output voltage from the freq drive? A lot of them these days can even make 3 phase from single phase.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VFDs normally cannot step-up the input voltage, although there are few smaller 120 to 240V models. I do not know of any US models, but there is a UK outfit that does sell step-up voltage 230 to 460V VFD models which are expensive, also Phase Technologies. is a fixed doubler The most common practice would be to use an input step-up transformer to a 480V VFD, gets expensive quickly. I would take the motor to a motor shop and see what it would cost, in the long run I feel the least inexpensive option would be purchasing another motor if it is a standard mount

Reactions: Z2V
Back