Help with draw bar and collets for a model 40

WestCoastEngineer

Registered
Registered
I picked up an Index model 40 this past Sunday. I can't wait to get started on projects with it. The motor and quill bearings are very quiet when it runs and there is little backlash in the crossfeeds. I bought it from the estate of a man who was a shop teacher at his local city college. His son didn't want it and needed to get rid of it to sell his father's house. I want to get it going as soon as I can. I know that it has B&S #9 collets, but I am having a hard time getting the collet holder out of the quill. I have removed the top nut. The top of the draw bar sure is petite relative to a standard bridgeport type draw bar. Does anyone have any sugestions for its removal? And does anyone know what type of collets these are?

Attachments

• IMG_4605.JPG
    IMG_4605.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4609.JPG
    IMG_4609.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4610.JPG
    IMG_4610.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4611.JPG
    IMG_4611.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 12
Thread the draw bar back into the collet, back it off a few threads, and smack it with a dead blow or other soft hammer. If you have to sometimes that will not be enough to dislodge the taper, and you will have to sparingly use a metal one, I use something to protect the draw bar. Put the nut back on but not contacting also so the DB stays up.

Back