Help with new surface grinder

Mheaton92

Registered
Registered
Hi everybody, I just got a new Harig 612. I know it has been posted so many times before, but I wanted to get some advice on the VFD. I will post pictures of the motor tag and a link to the vfd I was looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
VFD

I think this one will work, but I am by no means an expert when it comes to electrical. This VFD is 110 to 230 3 phase, the only concern I had was the amps on a 110 breaker. I can add in a bigger breaker with a deducted line.

Attachments

• 20211013152915361_L.JPG
    20211013152915361_L.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 23
if you run it on a 20 amp circuit, you should be OK
i ran a cheaper 115in -230 out VFD on my surface grinder on it's own 20a 115v circuit before i had more 3 phase outlets wired up at the shop

Thank you, I didn't think this grinder would pull that many amps but like I said I am no expert. Would I be correct in thinking the amperage is what would make or break a circuit like this?

Thank you, I didn't think this grinder would pull that many amps but like I said I am no expert. Would I be correct in thinking the amperage is what would make or break a circuit like this?
correct, the motor pulls a lot more current on start up than during operation
the surge is what usually pops the breakers if they are going to pop

correct, the motor pulls a lot more current on start up than during operation
the surge is what usually pops the breakers if they are going to pop

Last question, should I wire directly in to the fuse box that was there. I will post a picture below.
So 110 outlet - vfd - fuse box - switch- motor
or 110 outlet - vfd - motor

67446d6156a3441ae61096ba32866e7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like to put NEMA twist lock plugs on my equipment, but you can certainly hard wire into a suitable 20 amp breaker

Just to be clear, the output of the VFD should go directly to the motor with nothing in between but wire

Thanks again, I thought I heard that before and wanted to make sure. The nema twist locks look like a great idea. Haven’t used them before but I think I will give it a try.

Your grinding spindle motor is 1.6 amps.
The teco VFD you bought is good for 4.3 amps.
I run a 1 hp Bridgeport on the exact same teco drive.
You will be very happy with the drive.
By the way I run mine on a common outlet circuit.

I figured I’d post in case anyone searching for information finds it. This was a pretty straightforward install. Since it is a surface grinder I am only spinning in one direction and I am not modifying the hertz (spindle speed). It is a pretty small vfd and can be powered from a 120v outlet. So from the outlet I have it going to the vfd. The hot is broke on the front of the panel into a switch. Then out from the vfd to the motor with nothing in between. The spindle is turned on and off from a switch wired to the digital inputs. The vfd is from factory mation, it’s a fmx td200. I have a larger vfd from them also that is great. Il post some pictures.
73c2265ed7c6ef9240f1e8dfbb9dd8d1.jpg

a00066e668c70c9347a70ea70ca48a32.jpg

76b873d7798ffec8ed5ca47fb2af8748.jpg

Back