Help with some 3 phase plugs?

Ultradog MN

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm doing some upgrades on my shop.
Trying to organize it better and I'm adding some outlets for my 3 phase machines.
I run all of them off a 7.5 hp RPC.
Right now all my plugs are kind of a hodge podge - if a motor was running the wrong direction I simply swapped two legs in the plug and went about my merry way.
I would like to standardize everything.
The terminals on the receptacles I bought are marked X, Y, Z - plus the ground terminal of course
I am using red, black, white wires - plus green for ground of course.
What color should go to which terminal?

Attachments

• 26202455612.jpg
    26202455612.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 21
Those things are so dang high. I built my phase converter in a file cabinet on wheels so I could move it around. But the plugs were so high I hard wired it anyway. If I add any more 3 phase stuff I will need to use twist lock plugs just to save space.

Ma not be a standard, but the safety ground goes o the tanged one.

Pick an order for the rest and wore all the same.

Cords too, all same.

Modify connection at equipment for direction.

Try to use red and black for L1 and L2

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

US (NEC) standards:
  • Phase 1 – Black wire (X)
  • Phase 2 – Red wire (Y)
  • Phase 3 – Blue wire (Z)
  • Neutral – White wire
  • Green - ground (as you know)
This may not match the wiring in your machines (or RPC) depending on where they were made and if they heeded any standard. If you need to switch wires to get the right polarity, do it where you connect to the machine, or in the machines control cabinet if applicable.

GsT

All my machines in my shop are hard wired, no problems with expensive plugs/ receptacles.

I standardized on NEMA L15-30 (Twist-Lock, 30A). At one point I was moving sockets to different plugs, but as my 3phase collection grew I made a distribution box with cords for each. The cost of the plug / receptacle is nearly immaterial. Yes, it seems like a lot, but it's probably less than I paid in gas to bring any particular machine home. My lathe was hard wired at my old place, but I put a receptacle on it when I moved. Given all Twist-Locks, I've considered going to cords hanging from the ceiling at some point - it's a pretty clean approach.

GsT

I standardized on NEMA L15-30 (Twist-Lock, 30A). At one point I was moving sockets to different plugs, but as my 3phase collection grew I made a distribution box with cords for each. The cost of the plug / receptacle is nearly immaterial. Yes, it seems like a lot, but it's probably less than I paid in gas to bring any particular machine home. My lathe was hard wired at my old place, but I put a receptacle on it when I moved. Given all Twist-Locks, I've considered going to cords hanging from the ceiling at some point - it's a pretty clean approach.

GsT

Of course you know that L15-30 is completely out of spec for 3 phase... those are the plugs I use too! For me it is a simple matter of being able to bring home a new machine and pick up a new plug for it from Lowes without having to wait for a 3 phase plug order to come in. For my one man hobby shop they serve me well.

I have slowly been transitioning iff of my 10hp RPC to VFD's because I have no motivation to wire my entire shop for 3ph connected to my RPC.

Of course you know that L15-30 is completely out of spec for 3 phase... those are the plugs I use too! For me it is a simple matter of being able to bring home a new machine and pick up a new plug for it from Lowes without having to wait for a 3 phase plug order to come in. For my one man hobby shop they serve me well.

I have slowly been transitioning iff of my 10hp RPC to VFD's because I have no motivation to wire my entire shop for 3ph connected to my RPC.
L15-30 is *specifically* for 3 phase. I've used it in a number of designs that received third-party certification of NFPA 79 compliance.

Ref Eaton spec: https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...l-grade-l15-30-locking-devices-spec-sheet.pdf

GsT

The way I did three phase at work, many outlets, and plugs. I use three phase 250 volt 20 amp twist lock. 4 wire plugs. 20 amps 250volts will run most of the machines we have, usually the heavier ones get hard wired. I set a color code for the receptacles, all the same everywhere. In both my locations. I then I wire the plugs to the machine, changing two wires of the three to get the correct rotation of the machine. This way any machine can be plugged into any receptacle any where in the two shops will run correctly, without changing anything. I use red, black, blue, for one location and red, black, orange, for the other as it has a"high leg". The rubber cord end I use 4 wire cord. I put the green,ground wire on the green ground terminal, then the red, black, white on whatever terminals make it turn the right rotation I don't usually mark the white wire blue or orange.

Back