Help With Tailstock

ARM

Active User
Registered
Hello Gents
We have had a problem with our Tailstock in that the CLAMPING LEVER, (Part # 42) for the FEEDSCREW, Part # 17, ( we knew this as the Tailstock Spindle/Barrel ?), lost its springiness and would just flop back without Locking the Feedscrew.

Well we thought it would be possible to dismantle the Tailstock, ascertain the problem and try and rectify this. Well obviously that was easier said than done. We would sincerely appreciate some feedback from some of U kind learned Gents on how we may dismantle the Tailstock and rectify the Clamp Lever issue. Attached are the pics from our Manual together with the specific Part Numbers which would assist our communications.

Ours is a fairly good quality Asian Metre Bed machine which we've had now for some 8-9 Years, was
new since purchase. Some of U maybe familiar with our earlier postings which greatly assisted us in understanding and operating our machine the better. We have quite some work lined up and this TAILSTOCK problem is proving a setback.

We thank U graciously in advance for taking and making time in sharing Your experience.
LORD BLESS
aRM

007.JPG

004.JPG

012.JPG
016.JPG

Front Lever (R) Flopped !!!
031.JPG

Sounds like the cam is worn or there's a sheared pin in the locking parts. You will Probally have to dismantle the lock and pull the spindle parts out to inspect what's going on. It may have caps over the shaft end to hide the bolts to take it apart. Hard to tell without more pics.

Will do Silverbullet
Will take more pics from all sides on the morrow
TIA
aRM

Hello SILVERBULLET
Took more pics - even of the base.
There's not much visible by way of caps or other. Don't know if the 2 pins jutting from below the base would be the Holders ???
Anyway U have a look see and let us know.
TIA
aRM B.JPG H.JPG N.JPG

I agree with Silverbullet, but do have one question; can the locking mechanism be adjusted by removing the round metal disk seen in the picture where the Quill (#16 ) is on the left? There seems to be some paint missing by it. Just guessing that part # 14 (socket head set screw) may be used in the adjustment. Good luck

Rock-breaker

Thanks Rock-breaker
Anything's worth a shot here !!!
Will go and see - however, that round disk near the missing paint is the opposite side of the CLAMP LEVER.
Will look at that SET SCREW as well
Thanks
aRM

Ok Guys
Son, the Custom Knifemaker, helped dismantle, sourced the issue, rectified and Bob's Your Uncle - better than before !!!
Thanks all the same.
aRM

Looks to me if you remove the set screw #14 the whole clamp mechanism can be removed to see if the cam is worn or something else is going on. That round disk on the other end of the clamp mechanism is being held to the clamp shaft by that set screw. At least that is what the print is telling me. Good luck.

Reactions: ARM
Glad you were able to solve the problem. Hobby Shop is for we who enjoy problems. If you need to hire help you should be doing something else you like to do.

Reactions: ARM
Looks to me if you remove the set screw #14 the whole clamp mechanism can be removed to see if the cam is worn or something else is going on. That round disk on the other end of the clamp mechanism is being held to the clamp shaft by that set screw. At least that is what the print is telling me. Good luck.
Thanks Guy
U've been reassuring
aRM

Back