Hendey lathe info wanted

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
There is a Hendey lathe for sale near me that I am interested in... he says it was made in 1919, and refurbished a few years ago.

Screenshot_20190924-021254_Chrome.jpg

It has a very short bed, but looks to be in decent condition, and comes with some tooling... I'm not sure what or how much.

Are these generally pretty good machines? How do they compare to the South Bend lathes as far as quality and rigidity? I don't know yet what the swing capacity is...

I already have a South Bend 14 1/2 that will turn 36" between centers, but, hey, you can't have too many machines, right?

Thanks -Bear

Stout lathe. There is a guy on the practical machinist forum that goes by Hendyman. May ask him. He knows pretty much everything about Hendy lathes.

One feature that it has is lead screw reverse via a lever on the carriage, that is also actuated by stop collars on the reverse rod, with the feature, one can thread right up to shoulders or into blind holes, using appropriate recesses for the tool to run into. It also accepts change gears for odd numbers of threads.

I just went and looked at it... it will swing about 12 inches over the ways. It has a 10 inch 4 jaw chuck and a Chinese QCTP (bxa I'm pretty sure).

It has some surface rust, but the ways are in good condition with minimal wear. It should clean up nicely.

The biggest issue is with the drive system... the motor is not mounted, the pulley on the upper gearbox is damaged, and it needs new drive belts... so, I didn't get to see it run.

-Bear

I think you got yourself a True Beauty there......I Even like the Green color!

I am interested in knowing what exactly is the purpose of that "Hook" on the cross slide face?

Back