Hendey Refurbish #3

I worked on the taper attachment clamp this morning... I've finished boring the piece that goes on the taper attachment end of the clamp. While test fitting it, I noticed that the threaded rod that it slides on is bent.

This is basically a piece of 3/4" all-thread that mounts in the end of the lower slide... it is also pretty badly rust pitted, so I decided to make a new one... I had a 3 foot long piece of 3/4" all-thread already, so I just cut an 11" piece and cleaned the ends up.

I found a piece of 5/16" steel plate to use for the center piece of the clamp. I eyeballed the angle from the bed end of the clamp to the threaded rod at about 18 degrees, so I went ahead and set the piece of plate up on the mill at 18 degrees and bored a hole in it to go around the vertical piece on the bed end of the clamp... (maybe all of this will make sense as I get it all fitted together)...

Anyway, this is what I have right now...

20220912_112530.jpg

I have a good bit of milling to do on the plate yet...I'll have to carefully fit both ends, mill angles on both sides, then weld it all together. I also still have to make the vertical rib that goes down the center.

Stay tuned... I'll get there eventually...

-Bear

Ok, I've finished with the center plate... it was very tedious to get it fit correctly...

20220913_114624.jpg

I'll work on getting it welded later this week maybe. Then I'll need to fabricate the center rib and get it fit...

-Bear

I finished the taper attachment clamp... I tack welded it together, cut a piece for the center rib, then tacked it in and fully welded all 5 pieces together.

After blending the weld as smooth as possible, I mixed some JB Weld to use as filler to fill the radii between the parts... after it cured, I sanded it out, then primed and painted the clamp...

20220922_085251.jpg

My goal was to make it look like a casting, rather than 5 pieces welded together... I think I somewhat succeeded. It's not perfect, but I think it will be ok.

Now I need to make the lower half of the clamp that goes under the way. I haven't decided exactly how I'll do that yet. I'll probably machine it from a solid piece.

-Bear

I envy your skills. My CVA needed that part and i had to hunt the UK to find one as I knew mine would look mediocre and in comparison to yours, downright crappy. Dave

Here is a pic with the clamp installed on the lathe...

20220927_121047.jpg

I've started machining the adjustment knob for the taper attachment...

20220927_121950.jpg

My old lantern style bump knurling tool is just about worn out... I can usually get it to work with a little fiddling... but this morning it was fighting me. I finally lucked into the right combination and made a pretty nice knurl, though...

-Bear

Here is a pic with the clamp installed on the lathe...

View attachment 421592

I've started machining the adjustment knob for the taper attachment...

View attachment 421593

My old lantern style bump knurling tool is just about worn out... I can usually get it to work with a little fiddling... but this morning it was fighting me. I finally lucked into the right combination and made a pretty nice knurl, though...

-Bear

This looks amazing. Great job as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've started working on the taper attachment again... when I bought the lathe, both of the taper attachment chip shields were missing. These are the shields that keep chips out of the adjustment slots on the taper bar.

This is one on Hendey #2...

20221020_103413.jpg

I used two pieces of 2 x 2 x 1/16 angle...

20221020_080056.jpg

I set them up on the mill and drilled the holes first. One has a 33/64" hole... clearance for a 1/2" bolt. The other has a 7/8" hole... the adjusting gear that is on the adjustment knob has to go through it.

I then cut the opposite flange off on the bandsaw, leaving just a small flange, then cleaned it up on the mill.

I clamped the shield from Hendey #2 to it, then used a scribe to mark the shape on the new piece... then ground the contour on my Delta 12" disk grinder....

20221020_095912.jpg

20221020_102735.jpg

I've finished the one with the larger hole... I'll do the other later.

Now I can finish the adjustment knob and get it off the lathe.

-Bear

Last edited:
Back