HF 4x6 bandsaw - universal or induction motor?

joe_m

Active User
Registered
I'm looking at the image online and pretty sure I know the answer but want to make sure. Is the motor on the 4x6 harbor fright bandsaw an induction (quiet) or universal (screaming demon) motor?
thanks
Joe

Synchronous with a start cap. TEFC, 120v (single phase obviously).

And BTW, if you get that bandsaw (or already have one) it's worthwhile to immediately dump the garbage lube oil in the transmission box and put some half-decent stuff in there. The worm gears are brass so use 30w (SAE 100) hydraulic oil.

Ray

I'm looking at the image online and pretty sure I know the answer but want to make sure. Is the motor on the 4x6 harbor fright bandsaw an induction (quiet) or universal (screaming demon) motor?
thanks
Joe

Thanks. I'm not buying it - new at least - I see enough of them pop up on CL and was just wondering if they were worth the hour-long drive to check them out. The red ones seem to go real cheap, the identical looking ones with different colors seem to have higher asking prices so I was just wondering.

Joe

They are common as water and as far as I can tell are all the same thing or, are pattern copies. The ones from Jet and other places only have a 1/2HP motor. HF has a 1HP. Does it make a difference? Don't know -but probably not. I have the red one from Harbor Freight. They're $250 new and go on sale for 199 a couple times a year or you can wait for a 20% off coupon. Mine is 2+ years old and going strong. It's among the most heavily used piece of equipment in the shop. Replacement blades are common and cost between 20-30 bucks depending on your preference.

Ray

They are common as water and as far as I can tell are all the same thing or, are pattern copies. The ones from Jet and other places only have a 1/2HP motor. HF has a 1HP. Does it make a difference? Don't know -but probably not. I have the red one from Harbor Freight. They're $250 new and go on sale for 199 a couple times a year or you can wait for a 20% off coupon. Mine is 2+ years old and going strong. It's among the most heavily used piece of equipment in the shop. Replacement blades are common and cost between 20-30 bucks depending on your preference.

Ray

Whatever he said!

Joe,
They are all manufactured by Rong Fu in China and the colors are set by the different vendors. Jet and some of ther other vendors require a little better quality of fit and finish, but for the most part they are essentially all the same. If you get one, I would recomend joining the 4X6 Yahoo group and doing the tune and adjust procedure from their archives, It really helps get the little saws on the right path performance wise and improves them imensley. My biggest complaint was the flimsy sheet metal stand, but I replaced it with a 2 drawer file cabinet and it is much much better now. There are a ton of mods out there for hydraulic down feed, Coolant, and vices so the most common issues have all been adressed already. Hope this helps, if youre interested in one the current going rate is around 85 bucks here in Fla. Could be more or less depending on your market too. Have a great day.
Bob

Thanks. I'm not buying it - new at least - I see enough of them pop up on CL and was just wondering if they were worth the hour-long drive to check them out. The red ones seem to go real cheap, the identical looking ones with different colors seem to have higher asking prices so I was just wondering.

Joe

At the minimal price you can buy a new HF (red) one for, unworn, unmessed with, and with a warranty, I can't see any benefit in making a an hour long drive to view a worn used one, however cheap it might be.

M

Joe

The early ones from HF were green in color. I bought one 2 years ago off of Ebay, still in the box, for $70.
The name on the saw says Central Machinery. HF brand name at the time. Same saw as they market now.

I just bought a new one from HF a couple of months ago.
Now the color is a maroon-red.
The motor is TEFC cap-start, 4 pole rated at 1725 rpm.
The nameplate says 1 HP, but the FLA is 6.4 amps. So, it's really about 1/2 HP.
Not sure how the Chinese come up with 1 HP.
Once you get the belt guard properly fitted so it doesn't rattle, the saw is fairly quiet.
It still amazes me though, how the Chinese get their motors to hum as much as they do.

I was a little surprised to find the gearbox free of chips and filled with clean gear lube.
I left off the wheels so that I am not temped to move it that way.
Once leveled and in place, I feel the sheet metal stand is OK.

I went through the usual tear-down, cleaning, and alignment before use.
I have already cut a fair amount of steel with it. It actually cuts pretty square.
Buy a couple of good quality blades - the one that comes with it is pretty weak.

Oh - be sure to install the safety pin on the back every time you leave the saw not running.
If the pin is not installed, it is easy for someone to lift the saw, have it go over-center and tip over on the floor.
Hasn't happened to me yet, but I can see why many people warn about this feature.

Terry S.

At the minimal price you can buy a new HF (red) one for, unworn, unmessed with, and with a warranty, I can't see any benefit in making a an hour long drive to view a worn used one, however cheap it might be.

M
It's 78.2 miles to the bigger Tucson HF, so new or used I'd be making a drive unless I had it delivered.

7HC - Those Central Machinery ones make up the majority of the other color I see. Thanks for the info.

Joe

Back