HF grinder stand junk

This was my grinder stand until my wife commandeered it for patio use. It weighed enough for the job. I think it cost more than the HF stand, and it gave me a good excuse to buy/use the cherry picker.

Attachments

• IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 13
at 2 bills, I think the kit would be fine. I have time being retired. At anyrate, I would make my own. I originally made a turntable grinding station, but eventually found it to be too much space with too little gained. So I wall mounted mine. in a dust collecting box.
Yea, it was pretty expensive for what it is. I’m sure I could have made something similar but I was feeling lazy

How can anyone compare a $60 dollar HF tool to a Baldor tool @ $574 and expect them to be the same quality?
Nobody did expect them to be the same quality. Only that the price of close to $600 puts it out of reach for most of us home hobbyists. Therefore the HF kit may wind up being good enough. The Baldor is not cast iron at 61lbs. So if you have the skills to weld, I would go for a truck brake drum and a column , square would probably be nicer, and a top plate... weld it up and use it. I would not pay for the baldor, the price and weight don't add up.

Years ago I bought a HF type of stand. Moved all over the place. Tried a block grinder in it and decided it was the grinder not the stand. Doesn't mean the stand doesn't need some help, just that putting a better quality grinder on it makes a hundred difference.

Don't over look what you are putting on it.

BTW, the bad grinder was a brand new delta that I even tried to balance the wheels. I no longer use it.

Nobody did expect them to be the same quality. Only that the price of close to $600 puts it out of reach for most of us home hobbyists. Therefore the HF kit may wind up being good enough. The Baldor is not cast iron at 61lbs. So if you have the skills to weld, I would go for a truck brake drum and a column , square would probably be nicer, and a top plate... weld it up and use it. I would not pay for the baldor, the price and weight don't add up.
It took about an hour on the mill to make the crappy HF good enough. There is no possibility I'd ever spend baldor kind of money.

This is where the used equipment dealers come in once again. The dealers I visit usually have at least half a dozen quality machines on stands ready to go to work. Last fall I came across a Baldor like this for $400.00 out the door. I was tempted, but already have 2 similar ones in the shop, and don't need a third.

Back