HF Icon Tool Storage - Huh?

I asked a friend who sold washers at Sears (remember them) why our fairly new washer had started leaking while the old ones we had seemed to last forever. She said that's just the way it is now, something to do with front loading and seals, bearings. blah blah blah

The upside is the newer ones are far more efficient and actually clean your clothes much better. Buy one made in Korea, better built and no tariffs ;)

Cheers,

John
I stayed home with my kids when they were small so this caused me to be semi destitute and have more time than $$. We got an ancient '57 model Maytag top load washer given to us. Heaven only knows how many people it went through before us. It went down twice in the 10yrs we had it.

One of its quirks was I couldn't have my stereo on because when it went into spin it would cause a huge electrical spike that would about spit my speakers on the floor! One night we were sitting there and I heard it go into spin and make this huge"BONG!" and then silence. It had drained already and I called a friend who had been a tech and he said it had dropped the flywheel(?!?!) He said pull it away from the wall and everything is in the base so lay it on its back. Sure enough the huge flywheel was laying the floor. There was one repairman that covered from Bakersfield to Sacramento and from the coast range to Sierra. One guy could keep busy where there was several for all the other makes in each little town.

It turned out all I needed was this one little special clip. You put the flywheel on and wound it back against the internal spring then put the C clip on. It had been replaced without rewinding it and that's why the huge spike. When I finally caught up with the repairman he gave me the clip for free said he bought them by the pound. The other was the pump started to leak and I took it down to replace it and a tech was standing there and saw it and asked if it was a '57 Maytag and was leaking. I said yes, he said somebody forgot a paper towel in the laundry il bet and it's got a piece under the seal. Take it apart and clean it put this special lube on it and it'll be good as new. It was and it cost me $3 for the lube. He mentioned that was the washing machine he had. Id still have it if I'd not been badgered into getting rid of it by my hardwired backwards X. New Maytag are NOT like the old ones.

Harbor freight, underdog grows up and tries for the snap on money. Most of there tools are more then satisfactory for home owners and many others. Over thirty years ago I bought some air impacts and other tools. Used them abused them and there all still being used. So I'm satisfied with I guess all of them. I bought a few sets of the step drills and I've never had a problem with any size or its cutting . Now I don't trust the wrenches but I do use the sockets. If they keep raising prices like they've been doing it may affect there bottom line.

Back